Please sign in to post.

Zugspitze Question

I'm looking into taking a day trip to the Zugspitze from Munich. It's only an hour and 20 min train ride to Garmisch-Partenkirchen from Munich. We don't mind leaving Munich early in the morning. I've heard about the Partnachklamm gorge which is accessed from the same Garmisch train stop. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do both the Zugspitz and the Gorge? Cogwheel train up in the morning, then maybe afternoon to find the gorge and hike through it. Or is that too much for one day? Anyone ever been to the gorge on here?

Thanks,
--Robert

Posted by
12040 posts

It's not too much for one day, but weather can change your plans very quickly. But it's a good plan to ascend Zugspitze first, because weather tends to be clearer in the morning, although is not a hard and fast rule. Walking through the gorge is much less weather dependent, especially because long portions of the trail offer shelter from rain.

Posted by
1090 posts

If you are going todo them both in the same day, I would take the funicular up to the Zugspitze instead of the cog train. The train takes a long time!

Posted by
19052 posts

it's not a funicular up the Zugspitze, it's a cable car (Seilbahn), but, yes, it's a lot faster. You start off on the cog rail train from Grainau , but transfer to the Seilbahn at Eibsee.