Please sign in to post.

Zugspitze Germany or Austria? need to confirm some infos pls

Hi All,

I have gathered info for reaching Zugspitze from both Germany and Austria sides. I have some queries please:

1. From Austria's the good thing is it's cheaper, lesser crowds but I read post about Germany side is more scenic especially the ascent from Eibsee (the comment is from a German so I want to hear others opinion too :D). Does the crowd worthy for the scenic? I plan to go there around noon after Neuschwanstein so I think the crowd would've gathered.

2. I'd eliminate the cogwheel train and drive directly to Eibsee. Does the Eibsee cable car has problems with queuing too? I read that it runs half hourly, 10mnts to reach Zugspitze but I think I read somewhere there're only 2 Eibsee-Selbahn that operate, each could only fit 30ppl. Could someone please verify this?

3. If I decide to go from Germany, I plan to go uphill by Eibsee and downhill by the Glacier cable car/Gletscherbahn. Or is it better vice versa?

4. The price from the Austrian's Tiroler Zugspitzbahn side http://www.zugspitze.at/zugspitzbahn/en/gipfelbesucher_sommer.html
    There are 2 that I find , one is Gipfel-Ticket "Erlebnis Zugspitze" Euro 40.5 (Euro 38 w/guest card).
    Another is Platt-Ticket "Kleine Rundreise"/ Round trip ticket Euro 52. What does Platt Ticket 'Kleine Rundreise' mean?
    I assume Euro 52 is the price for the Germany side?? Is there any guest card discount from the Germany side?

5. Could I use the guest card if I live in another town or country ? for example using the Germany guest card in Austria or using guest card from Oberammergau in Garmisch Parthenkinchen?

6. The price in Germany side which I assume Euro 52, does it include everything such as the cogwheel train, Eibsee and Gletscherbahn? I understand though I do not ride the cogwheel train, it's going to be charged the same but I plan to use both the Eibsee and Gletscherbahn

7. If I plan to drive to Ehrwald, where is the stopping/destination point on GPS? Is it Obermoos instead of Ehrwald since I view from gmap the Tiroler Zugspitzbahn operates from that point?

8. I see there could be cogwheel train stop in Riffelrib if requested. Is there any viewing platform just for the scenery or is it only for the skiier/hiker?

Sorry for the many queries. I really appreciate all inputs even if you could provide info on any of them.

TIA

Posted by
32519 posts

You sound like the sort of person who plans things down to the second so I will convey a concern that you may not reach your destination at noon, as you have outlined in question one.

You will, I am sure, be aware of your tour scheduled time and that the total time for the tour is around an hour, and that the driving time between the two places that morning will appear to be around an hour.

Are you also aware of extra 45 to 60 minutes to return to your car after the tour? And that the actual drive, assuming you are driving the Austrian route therefor missing the German attractions nearby will likely take longer than the hour that mapping websites show? Remember that these are small roads, one lane each way, and you may well encounter slow traffic and the occasional tractor or other farm machinery.

What time is your tour of Neuschwanstein? Is it the first one of the day?

Posted by
12040 posts

This again...

Allow me to be blunt... you're overthinking and overplanning this. Let's make this as simple as possible.

If you're visiting Zugspitze from Füssen, drive through Austria and take the cable car from Erhwald. Rather than trying to pinpoint it via GPS, just follow the signs. You can't possibly get lost.

If driving from Linderhof, ascend from the German side, either from the Bayerische Zugspitzbahn, which has it's terminal station in Garmisch right next to the main train station, or the Eibsee-Seilbahn cable car. Both are easy to find, just follow the signs.

The Riffelrib stop is for hikers and climbers. If doing neither, you would more or less be stuck there until the next train passes.

And all of this presupposes that the weather cooperates, so I hope you have some flexibility built into your schedule.

Posted by
2898 posts

I have to agree with Tom. You are certainly over thinking and over planning.
This a big attraction and is well signed. People go on this trip all the time without major planning.
If you're near Ehrwald, go there. If Garmisch is easier for you, go from there.
If it's raining, stop at Linderhof Palace.

Paul

Posted by
1275 posts

I,ve been up to the Zugspitz twice from the German side. I'll admit it has been some years. Took the cogwheel train up and then Seilbahn down. Both were from the parking place to catch the cogwheel train and rerun by the Seilbahn. You have to take a second cable car to the top from the cogwheel train station in order to get to the top of the Zugspitz and the Seilbahn down. If I remember right this was one ticket. Great views and you have the chance exiting the cogwheel train to watch people ski and get a beer and a Brezel at the restaurant there. This was in October-December without big crowds. Expensive yes, but on a good weather day great. I have also walked around the Eibsee in December and was like the only one there. Great reflections off the lake from the mountains. I want to go to Ehrwald and to hike the region, but have only driven through on the way into Tirol, Imst, AT etc. so far. http://www.zugspitze.at/zugspitzbahn/de/start_sommer.html It will be a destination in the future. http://www.ehrwalderalmbahn.at/ehrwalderalmbahn/en/wandern.html

Posted by
464 posts

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

Hi Nigel :)
thanks for reminding me about the time and the situation of the one lane road. it's good to know that the surrounding areas are pretty much like in countryside then. I thought there're going to be expressway or bigger at least 2lanes road. i've pre-booked the ticket to Neuschwanstein but I haven't received any confirmation schedule from them. My planned schedule is 9am in the morning for the English tour. Hopefully they do have the English schedule still available during that hour. 9am should be the first tour held during the day. After Neuschwanstein, i plan to have sightseeing in the nearby Alpsee so perhaps at 13pm I could start heading to Zugspitze??

Hi Tom & Paul,
lolz, yes i like to plan ahead :D it's not necessarily to stick through the plan. it depends on our mood and the weather of the day but i don't like wasting time looking for info on the spot. i'm used to getting everything firsthand and in the past, it does help a lot in our trip especially we normally only have short period trip, thus each and every minute is precious to us. even i bring along portable stools if i've known that there's going to be long queues lolz. For Zugspitze trip, i think the weather plays important factor. well i do hope i'd get a clear sunny day since it's summer. Last Christmas, we went to Jungfrau and couldn't see a thing. Noted on Riffelriss, I've thought about it too. i think most likely, i'd visit Zugspitze from Neuschwanstein, Fussen. If I choose to go from the German side driving all the way to Eibsee Valley station, would it be time wasting by lot? i mean i don't know about the traffic condition there like signage or the road from Neuschwanstein to Eibsee is much more difficult to reach than one to Ehrwald.

Hi mchpp
i tend to visit it from the German side too as for the scenery. but if time and weather permits. thanks for your input :)

Posted by
14 posts

I have traveled to Zugspitz from both the German and Austrian routes...I have found them equally compelling. But, that is a personal view. At 2962m it is the highest point in Germany and in my view worth more than a quick stop. When I first visited I spent two days exploring the mountain's many views and offerings and I'm always happy to return. Your itinerary sounds wonderful; even if a bit challenging. I hope you will return here after your adventure to share your experiences.

Posted by
2898 posts

As far as which is more scenic to the top, we've only done Zugspitze from Ehrwald. The entire area is very scenic. The best scenery, and what you're paying all the money for, is the scenery from the top. However you get there is secondary.

Paul

Posted by
19052 posts

Eibsee means Eib Lake; it's not a form of transport. The Eibsee Seilbahn (pr Zile bahn) is the cable car that goes from Eibsee to the summit of the Zugspitze. Like any other Seilbahn, it consists of two passenger cabins that balance each other; one goes up, while the other comes down. It's been years since I rode it. I don't remember how big the cars are, but when I rode it, there was no line, just a wait for the car to come down. That might have changed.

The trip on the Garmisch side was very easy to do without a car. I came in on the train and the Zugspitzbahn station is right there next to the Garmisch-Partenkirchen Bahnhof and ZOB (bus station). A regular train runs from Garmisch to Grainau, where you transfer to the cog train (Zahnradbahn, at the other end of the platform). The cog train makes a stop at Eibsee before going into a tunnel that takes it through the mountain to the foot of the Gletscherbahn. I think most of the trip in in the dark, and cog trains are notoriously slow. I've taken the one on Pikes Peak, and that was enough for me. Unless you have lots of time and want the experience, I'd take the Seilbahn both ways.

If you do take the cog train to Gletscherbahn route, depending on the weather, I'd take the Seilbahn up to get there as early as possible, before the mountain socks in, then take the Gletcherbahn to the cog train down.

Kleine Rundfahrt means "small round trip", but I don't think that is an adequate description. The ticket includes up and down by the Seilbahn on the Austrian side (note, the website is Austrian .AT) plus a round trip down the Bavarian Gletscherbahn and back, plus some entrances (a museum and a tour of the showroom in the valley station of the cable car).

The 52€ adult price on the German side includes a trip up and back by your choice of the cog train/Gletscherbahn or Eibsee Seilbahn.

Posted by
464 posts

Hi Lee,

thanks for the info. At first , I thought of going up by the Eibsee Selbahn and going down by the cogwheel via the Gletscherbahn hoping there would be a different view perhaps mainly otw down from Gletscherbahn to the cogwheel station. But many here also said it's like a forevel tunnel and very slow on top of that. so i think i might just do the selbahn both ways now. i plan driving up to the eibsee valley station btw so i could save time from catching the slow cogwheel from GP.

Cheers