We will be travelling with a group of students (11 people) to Reutte, Austria on one of the legs of our trip in late June, early July of this year. We will be utilizing the public transit system to get to the Zugspitze from Reutte and from the Zugspitze on to Munich. We would like to make the trip to the Zugspitze a day trip, so we'd leave Reutte in the morning, up the Zugspitze, summit hike, lunch, down and off to Munich for an evening arrival. We have secured lodging in both Reutte and Munich, so our questions stem from the logistics of a day trip with a large group and the secure storage of luggage while on the Zugspitze. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Our questions are as follows:
- What train, or train/bus combo would be the best to take to get us to the base of the Zugspitze where the cable car departs? If possible, please be specific, noting transfers and pros and cons of different modes of travel would be so very helpful.
- Approximate travel time from Reutte to Zugspitze and from Zugspitze to Munich?
- From which side would be the best to ascend the Zugspitze, Austria or Germany?
- What are the names of the towns where the on either side of the mountain that the cable cars depart?
- Is there anywhere specific that we would be able to store our luggage (high school kids, instructed to pack light, but who knows what they'll schlep along), possibly make arrangements with a hotel? I assume lockers would be too small?
Being a student trip, we are on a lean budget, so if there are any answers to our questions that have more budget friendly options, we'd love to hear them. Thanks!!