Please sign in to post.

Zugspitze

I would like to know if I need to buy tickets for Zugspitze online in advance or can I wait a day or two before we are there. We will be there mid Sept. When I go online, there doesn't seem to be any days sold out so I don't believe that it is imperative to get them early. Seems like it's an activity to do on a sunny day so I don't want to plan too far in advance. We are staying in Fussen and we will have a rental car so will need a place to park it.

Also, the website isn't clear to me on what type of ticket I need for the cogwheel train, cable cars and return. Is that even the best way to go? The website seems to bounce around between English and German. Any information would be great, thanks.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Diane,

Since you’ll have a rental car and are staying in Fuessen, why not go to the top of the Zugspitze from Ehrwald, Austria? This is closer than going to Garmsich and the cable car trip in Ehrwald goes to the exact same spot as the trip from Garmisch, the top of the Zugspitze. Since the Zugspitze sits on the border of Germany and Austria, you can get to the top from either location. We did the Zugspitze trip from Ehrwald. There is ample parking at the cable car station.

Do not reserve tickets in advance, as weather can change quickly and you want a clear day to do this.

www.Zugspitze.at

Posted by
2952 posts

If driving in AT be sure you follow these rules
• Driving under the influence is stricter than most US states.
• If driving in AT you must display an “autoban vignette” (highway-tax sticker): https://www.asfinag.at/en/toll/vignette/toll-sticker/.
• Maximum speed is 130km (81mph).
• It’s against the law to use a hand-held cell phone while driving.
• It’s against the law to turn right on red.
• You must pull over to the far right or far left to allow an emergency vehicle to pass.
• If driving from Nov 1 through Apr 15 you could receive a hefty fine if your vehicle does not have snow tires.
• Make sure you can take your rental car across borders even if crossing into another Schengen zone.
• In AT you need an international driving permit obtainable through AAA along with your US driver’s license.

Posted by
32757 posts

If driving in AT you must display an “autoban vignette” (highway-tax sticker):

if you use the autobahns.

If just heading around the base of the Zugspitze and back into Germany you will be miles from any Austrian autobahn and won't need it.

Posted by
548 posts

No need to buy tickets in advance. If it's cloudy or raining, you won't want to go, because you won't see anything from the top.
We just walked up to the counter and bought tickets an hour before the train departed on an almost hourly schedule.
We took the cogwheel train from Garmish-Partenkirchen. But even where it ends near the top, you still have to take the Gletscherbahn cable car to the top.
We took the cogwheel train for personal reasons (hint: train geek) but you can just take the cable car zugspitze (not sure where that starts from? Maybe Eibsee?) and then take the Gletscherbahn cable car to the top.
There is plenty of paid parking at the Cogwheel train station in GP
And lots of paid parking at Eibsee, if you don't want to start in GP.. You can take the cogwheel train from there too.