Please sign in to post.

Women's walking shoes

Need recommendations for comfortable women's walking shoes that don't make you look like an escapee from a Gulag!

Posted by
1225 posts

Hi. Did you know there is a whole forum on Best Walking Shoes. Find it from the main Travel Forum page in the Tips section, Best Shoes category. I mention this since people's recommendations will be based on time of year, terrain, etc. You can read a lot at this specific forum.

Myself, for this time of year walking in urban and less than hiking conditions, I might look at Bernie Mevs - Comfi. I was just on Zappos checking them out. I usually have a pair, but mine wore out.

Anyway, hope this tip helps.

Debbie

Posted by
9420 posts

I wear the same shoes on a trip as I do at home for every day wear and for walking 10+ mi a day...
Birkenstock Mayori sandals, Dansko clogs or New Balance walking tennis shoe.

Posted by
368 posts

I have to add my choice...Clarks shoes...I have several pair for walking and have logged many miles in them without complaints. This is where you can't be cheap when it comes to walking shoes...because tired, sore feet will make you miserable even in the best situations. Cobblestones, uneven road and sidewalks, marble and hills are very hard on the feet, so choose something that feels great and break them in prior to your trip!

Posted by
2 posts

I have tried many brands and they can’t compare to Clark’s “wave”. They give wonderful support, venting, and durability. We have hiked many a trail and cobblestone roads and have no complaints plus they come in a variety of colors!

Posted by
25 posts

I swear by my Doc Martens. They are soooooooo comfy and durable, and they go with everything! Pricey, but worth every penny.

Posted by
782 posts

I wear Skechers type flats in towns and Salomon Low Cuts in the mountains.
Bev

Posted by
368 posts

I have used several pairs of Clark's shoes over the multiple visits to Italy, they are very comfortable and you will be walking more than expected. I always tell people there is a big difference between cheap (not smart) and frugal and if you buy cheap shoes that aren't comfortable, you will not be happy.

I get my clarks at Macys- they have the best sales- and break them in a few weeks prior to the trip.

Posted by
451 posts

My wife swears by her Dansko's. Up to six different pairs now. They are a loved by nurses who spend 12 hours a day on their feet.

Posted by
48 posts

I wore a pair of Sorel boots for a 2+ week trip to Germany, Austria, Hungary and CZ in December/January a few years back. We walked an average of 10 miles a day, and I had absolutely no problems. As others have said, the best pair of shoes may not be a new pair, and definitely ones that are comfortable for you.

Posted by
891 posts

I discovered Munro walking shoes and Soft Walk shoes quite a few years ago. They are leather, so my feet don't get as wet in rain or as cold as many other shoes. The Soft Walk shoes have an inside sole that is like a memory foam, so really comfy. I get them at Nordstrom's, I love their return policy. You can wear them for a month or 2 to break them in and if that doesn't work, return them with no trouble.

I am one of those people who always want to be at the airport early, so first thing I do after security is go to the shoe polish people and have them done there. They do a great job.

Have a Great Trip!
Mimi