Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Munich

I have been checking accommodations in Munich, and for December, the rates are pretty high.

We need a place with kitchen, for five adults. Was even trying to find somewhere for 2 people, and the 3, by breaking up accommodations.

So an alternative might be staying outside the city center, like the outskirts.

Anyone did this and liked it? I think maybe no more than 10 mins travel time to get to the center would be alright.

Posted by
8889 posts

Having just come back from Munich (staying in a hotel on the edge of the centre), I would make two comments:
1) What do you call "pretty high" (In Euros)?
2) The centre is all shops, offices, official buildings and some hotels. "10 mins travel time to get to the center" would put you about where I was, near the Hauptbahnhof. If you want to stay in the suburbs, that would be 30+ minutes from the centre, by Munich's excellent transport system (S-Bahn, U-Bahn and trams).

Posted by
1582 posts

Ginger look into Freising and Starnberg Germany as places to find lodging in the outskirts of Munich. Freising to Munich is 50 minutes by train and Starnberg to Munich is 30 minutes by train.

https://www.bavaria.by/visit/freising/

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Freising--Germany

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Starnberg--Germany/homes?refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&place_id=ChIJ33FBNynQnUcRQoI4EjjudY4&search_type=section_navigation&screen_size=large&adults=5

Posted by
99 posts

We stayed at Hotel Antares, closest Ubahn station is Odeon.
It is within walking distance to Hofgarten
They have triple and quadruple rooms. Their rates are reasonable to me.
I think I paid 125 euros per night for triple room in summer 2018

Posted by
867 posts

Personally I find anything under 100 Euros a night per person reasonable. It should be no trouble finding something like that. The problem is you're traveling a high tourist timeframe. I'd look up around the University or south east of the city center accross the river. Either of those areas are just a short U Bahn ride into the Altstadt.

Posted by
118 posts

Instead of creating another thread so similar, I would like to add a similar request if that is alright.

We too are looking for a place for 5 people (4 adults and 1 child). We are willing to get two rooms if need be...one for 2 adults (my wife's parents) and another for 3 people (my wife, son and I).

We would prefer to avoid the hotels around Hauptbahnhof (main train station). My wife is concerned after reading some reviews of the area.

If anyone can recommend some hotels near the city center (for easy walking) or perhaps further out (away from the Hauptbahnhof) that we can use public transportation or taxi/Uber we would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Posted by
5697 posts

Our go-to place in Munich is Hotel Brecherspitze, out a ways from the central Marienplatz but connected by tram and S-bahn. Quiet neighborhood (maybe it's the cemetery across the street ?) Great breakfasts. Very reasonable prices. I believe they still have some 3-person rooms.