Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Munich?

Hi, my friend and I are planning to use Munich as our base in going to: 1. the Neuschwantein Castle 2. Rottenburg 3. Salsburg 4. Innsbruck on a day trip basis. We tried to book a hotel for 5 days but most hotels that we found have no availability for the period that we plan to stay in Munich, that's Sept. 15 to 20. We do not like to bring our luggage along as we go places, that's why we chose Munich as our base. The hotel rates are so high now. I heard it's due to the season of Oktoberfest. We are arriving in Munich on Sept. 15, 7 am. We also considered that we would not be able to check in to a hotel as check in time usually starts at 2 or 3 pm. Can anyone suggest a good place in Munich to stay where the hotel rates are affordable and also convenient for us to go the places of interest that I mentioned. Thanks.

Posted by
330 posts

Hi there!
My sister and I are staying in Munich September 26-30. We are staying at the Park Inn(2nights) and Park Inn East(2nights). Off hand I dot remember exactly, but one of the hotel's is 5 stops away on the metro from the center of town.
The reason we split the hotel nights was that my husband had a hotel rewards "coupon".
They might have some rooms for you.
Also, if your room isn't ready, they can store your luggage for you. I have never had to give a fee for that.
What if you split the base locations: Munich and Salzburg?

Good luck and have fun on your adventure! Sounds fantastic!

Posted by
544 posts

My friends who have been to Oktoberfest all stayed outside the city and came in to party. If you want to do those far-flung day trips you might want to book one of the few expensive rooms left near the train station just so it's easy to get to the intercity trains early and late.

Posted by
19092 posts

First, not to be a nitpicker, but, if you are trying to make reservations, it helps to spell the names right. Perhaps Neuschwantein is just a typo, but it's Neuschwanstein. Rottenburg is Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Salsburg is Salzburg.

Oktoberfest opens on Sept 19 with big parades, and a lot of people want to be there for that. Hotels will be hard to find. Since the places you want to see are outside Munich, maybe you should find a place a little aways from downtown. I stayed here on the last weekend in Oktoberfest, 2007, and they had not raised there rates. It was a nice enough place, simple but clean and comfortable. Landsberg is about an hour from Munich Hbf by regional trains. For Salzburg and Innsbruck, you would have to go through Munich Hbf, but Neuschwanstein would be an easy trip.

Posted by
980 posts

Can anyone suggest a good place in Munich to stay where the hotel rates are affordable and also convenient for us to go the places of interest that I mentioned.

You are not likely to get an affordable hotel in Munich during Oktoberfest. I'm with Lee on this one and would suggest staying outside Munich. In addition to Landsberg, Augsburg would be a fine choice to fine an affordable hotel that is still convenient to the places of interest. You can get to all the places you mention in 2-3 hours. There are direct trains fron Landsberg to Salzburg and Füßen, one change to get to Innsbruck, and two changes to get to Rothenburg.

DJ

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, Olga, Nordheim, Lee and Dj, for all your inputs. I will consider splitting the base between Munich and Salzburg, Olga. Lee, is the Oktoberfest parade something worth staying one more day in Munich?

Posted by
19092 posts

" is the Oktoberfest parade something worth staying one more day in Munich?"

Ask someone who has been there. I love Munich, but at Oktoberfest time, I avoid it like the plague.

Posted by
980 posts

I've been to the parade many time but if you are not going to the festival my advice is you won't be missing anything. It is a lot of bands, horses, local groups in traditional dress and some livestock. Here is video showing what to expect.

DJ