Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Hamburg

My husband and I have been to southern Germany many times (he is a native), but are planning our first visit to Hamburg later this summer, 2022. Any suggestions as to which neighborhood is good for reasonable accommodations and walking? We don’t need fancy and plan to stay a week.

Posted by
6274 posts

I stayed at the Hotel City House at Pulverteich 25. I liked it - it was convenient to the train station, and the room was very clean, albeit a bit small. But it was a single and I expected that. The staff was very pleasant and courteous, and the breakfast was good, too. They offer coffee and tea service in a lounge on the ground floor, which was nice to have. The area around the hotel is a bit threadbare but I never felt unsafe and there were lots of good ethnic restaurants around. Plus the convenience to the train station and bus station made it worthwhile. Just an FYI- there is no elevator.

Posted by
14499 posts

I always stay at "Hotel Fürst Bismarck" on Kirchenallee, a 3 star hotel, en suite rooms, breakfast buffet, accepts credit payment. Take the Kirchenallee exit from Hamburg Hbf.. You see the hotel almost directly across the street, a very nice place, not fancy. You do have to turn in the key each time you go out.

The hotel offers its guests combo ticket for public transport...no need to buy any day pass, etc., another incentive for staying here.

I like this place due to its location, transportation-wise, very convenient, catching the S-Bahn in Hamburg Hbf., the chief rail junction point in North Germany. The main shopping centre in Hamburg is only 3 stops on the U-Bahn from Hamburg Hbf

Next this hotel is "Hotel Europäsischer Hof" a 4 star hotel, if you want more luxury, pricier, fancy. Only stayed here once.

Posted by
1402 posts

The Michaelis Hof Hotel has great rates for travelers in 30 rooms which are in a building which is a Catholic conference center. ( And, no, you don’t have to be Catholic to stay here) Rates include a continental breakfast. The neighborhood has cafes and restaurants and it’s near the oldest street in Hamburg and the $1 billion dollar Elbphilharmonie Concert Hall.
A great bargain in a fantastic neighborhood with all the sites walkable.