Please sign in to post.

where to stay in Berlin

Will be in Berlin for 4-5 days. Mainly interested in WWII sites. What is the best area to stay?
Thanks

Posted by
5678 posts

When I did the Berlin/Prague/Vienna tour we stayed in Prenzlauer Berg and I really liked it. Years, well decades, earlier we stayed in the west, but I would definitely stay in the east if I returned. Our hotel was the Kastanianhof. Interestingly, their website calls their location the Mitte, but I think that may be stretching it. I liked the hotel. There was easy access to the S-Bahn so it was easy to get everywhere.

Posted by
1455 posts

I stayed at the Radisson Blu because it was literally next door to the Cathedral and the Museums. Its also steps away from the train station, metro and bus. We got a great deal on Trivago that also directed us to a site that included breakfast. Lovely city, and would visit again in a heartbeat. Pretty much any place in the city is close to WW2 sites.

Posted by
15579 posts

I stayed at the Mercure Checkpoint Charlie. I thought it was well-located but in a less expensive area.

Posted by
4684 posts

Berlin has a good public transport system so anywhere in the centre will be convenient. If you are particularly interested in the former Third Reich government locations, I would suggest staying somewhere around Potsdamer Platz.

Posted by
35 posts

I'll second the recommendation to stay near Potsdamer Platz....extremely centrrally located, 2-3 blocks from the Brandenburg Gate, about 4 blocks to the Reichstag, and steps away from the S-Bahn station and very close to a U-bahn station. Walking distance to the Topographie des Terror, walking distance to the Gendarmenmakrt area, a very short ride to Museum Island, short ride in the other direction to the Kudamm shopping area, and easy train connections to just about anywhere. Also, there are trains that run directly to Potsdam that leave from the Potsdamer Platz station, if you want to explore day trips. I travel to Berlin occasionally for business, and like to stay at the Marriott in Potsdamer Platz.

Posted by
32200 posts

Diane,

I'd recommend staying close to Bahnhof Zoo, as many of the tours offered by Original Berlin Walks depart from there. If you want to take some excellent tours, that's a good location as they offer many (including a trip to Sachsenhausen). You might have a look at Pension Peters - highly recommended!

Posted by
868 posts

Berlin has a good public transport system so anywhere in the centre
will be convenient.

This.
I like the area (Spandauer Vorstadt) around Hackescher Markt station the most. It's the only part of Berlins old town that survived WW2 relatively well. From the station it takes only 2 minutes to Friedrichstraße, Alexanderplatz or Hauptbahnhof, and 10min to Potsdamer Platz for example.

Posted by
14 posts

we stayed at the Marriott potsdamer platz. very close to all the major sights and transportation. Berlin is very spread out however so figure out what you want to see and then pick a place.

Posted by
25 posts

My daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre-West in May which was about 10 minute walk to the Zoo Transportation hub, the #100 bus stop was about 2 blocks away, and about 5 minutes to one of the subway stops so it was easy to get everywhere. Berlin is very spread out. We bought the transportation card and museum island pass for 72 hours which included transportation on the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, and buses. The hotel includes breakfast and has free wifi. Our room was in the back of the hotel and it was super quiet even though on a main street.

Posted by
14503 posts

Hi,

On the war sites: do you intend to go on a tour, or do you want to track down these particular sites yourself and forget the tour? I rather track down those particular places myself. Which specific places/sites, especially military sites, do you have in mind?

The hecker's hotel in Berlin seems to be pretty good.(Grolmanstrasse 35, 10623 Berlin(00 49 30 88 900) . It is a boutique hotel located in the fashionale charlottenburg area and is near the Kurfurstendamm artey. Nearby there are also restaurants, galleries and shops so it's convenient.

Posted by
50 posts

Have stayed twice in the Hackescher Markt area and find it a good home base (we stayed in one of Berlin Habitat's apartments there--very fond of this when I'm staying 4 days or more). http://berlinhabitat.com --we stayed in apartment Isabella

The Hotel Adina across the street gets very good reviews as well: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187323-d1823410-Reviews-Adina_Apartment_Hotel_Berlin_Hackescher_Markt-Berlin.html There's grocery right around corner, lots of restaurants, S-bahn steps from building, and Alexanderplatz is a 5 minute walk. You're also 5 minutes from the museum island and Berliner Dom, and super close to Unter den Linden, Nikolaiviertel, the river, etc., etc.

Posted by
1 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Kubrat and really liked it. It is just steps from the Friedrichstrasse UBahn and within walking distance to Checkpoint Charlie, Topography of Terror, Brandenburg Gate, Unter den Linden. The hotel is the former Bulgarian Embassy. We were 2 couples and were able to get a 2 bedrrom, 1 1/2 bath apartment for less than the cost of 2 hotel rooms.