Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Bavaria?

I am already researching for a trip next summer! We will be traveling with our 2 kids, 7 and 10. We will be arriving in Munich after being in London. I need help in deciding if we should stay near Berchtesgaden and visit that area and Salzburg? Or stay near Garmish-Partenkirchen and explore that area? Or is there a town that would make a good “base” to visit Munich, Salzburg, Garmish-Partenkirchen? We prefer to stay at one place since it’s a pain to move to different places with little kids. We will have about 5-6 days.

Also, if you’ve also been to Chamonix, would that region or Bavaria be the better choice? I’ve already been to Munich and Bavaria before kids, so I might lean toward going where I haven’t gone before. But going somewhere I’ve already been is comforting since this will be my kids’ first trip overseas and they can be a little difficult with eating and sleeping. We will be ending our trip in Zurich visiting with family. Thanks for any help!

Posted by
7662 posts

We lived in Augsburg, 50 miles west of Munich for four years and spent lots of time in the Garmish area. Also, did Salzburg/Berchtesgaden. I suggest with 5-6 days that you can visit both, you should not try to do day trips from one to the other.
Spend more time in the Garmish area. However, Salzburg is great, but do the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden if you can.

While in Garmisch, recommend going up to the Zugspitze as well as seeing the castles.

Posted by
32 posts

Keep in mind that next year (2020) is the once-in-a-decade Oberammergau Passion Play, so that area of Bavaria (which is close to Garmisch-Partenkirchen) will probably be exceptionally crowded.

Posted by
16 posts

geovagriffith, thank you for the info. max, I just read in this forum about the passion play next summer. I’ll have to change plans. Would Berchtesgaden and Salzburg be affected with the crowds for the passion play? I will research Chamonix and maybe head to that direction. Our trip ends in Zurich, so it might be good to stay nearby.

Posted by
1290 posts

I'll assume you will have a car? Schönau am Königssee is a good summer location. I stayed at Unterartenreitlehen years ago before they renovated. Minimal seven day stay I'm afraid though now. Within walking distance of restaurants, the Jennerbahn and Königssee. There are many FEWO/Holiday apartments in Schönau am Königssee, but I would book early to get the better local. München and Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald are a two to two and a half hour drive away unfortunately, but Salzburg is only a 40 minutes drive away. I like to use P+R Salzburg Süd in Salzburg.

http://www.unterartenreit.de/
https://www.ramsau.de/webcam-malerwinkel.html
https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/funtenseetauern/

I've never been to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, but it's on my "Visit" list.

Posted by
16 posts

mchpp, I'm not sure if we'll have a car just yet. I will have to see what our final plans end up being. Thanks for the info. about Salzburg and Schönau am Königssee.

Posted by
864 posts

With children that age I'd look further north. Base out of Nuremberg and you have Rothenburg, Dinklesbuhl, and Nordlingen right there. Also the open air museum at Bad Windsheim (which is great for kids). You'd also have the bike paths of Erlangen, the castles in Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Hohenau, and Colmburg, and the open market, train and toy museum's in Nuremberg itself.

Frankonia is beautiful in the summer.

If you want mountains and less city/town stuff look at the Oztal region in Tirol. From Kitzbuhl to Obergurgle there's a number of small towns that cater to skiing in the winter but have great hiking in the summer months.

Posted by
16 posts

KGC, thank you for the suggestions! I will look into these places. So many wonderful and beautiful places in Europe! It's hard to decide what part to go to.