Please sign in to post.

What attractions/musuems are closed in Berlin on Unity Day, 3Oct 2015?

Can anyone provide information on which attractions, sites, etc. are closed in Berlin due to the national holiday on Saturday, October 3, 2015?

Considering a weekend trip to Berlin and wanted to plan accordingly.

Thank you

Posted by
2297 posts

25 years of German unity - that's a great time to be in the nation's capital!

Most museums will have opening hours just like on any other Sunday. Very few would be closed because of the public holiday. I looked up a few of the biggies and they will be open. Just check the particular museums you are interested in to be on the safe side.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you... I tried to discern the hours from the museum island website, but it wasn't very precise:

German Unification Day (Sat 3 October 2015)
- all museums open as usual on Sunday
- Musikinstrumenten-Museum SIM 10 a.m. - 5 p.m

So, by reading this, it doesn't say anything explicitly about Saturday, just that all museums are open as usual on Sunday.

Maybe its just me.

From my various sources, it appears the only thing affected by the National holiday is that places that sell things like items or groceries are closed, but restaurants, arts, entertainment are all open.

Posted by
2297 posts

It means that this particular Saturday is treated like a Sunday because it's a public holiday. Thus, museums will have the opening hours they would have on Sundays. Stores are closed like they are on other Sundays (with the exceptions of stores at train stations and airports, gas stations and most bakeries). Restaurants, theatres and other entertainment centres are open on Sundays - and public holidays.