Please sign in to post.

Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle

I will be in Munich May 12-15 and was planning to visit the castle May 14. When should I purchase train and tour tickets? I am having a hard time figuring out which train to do because it seems like one pass only works after 10:00 or so on weekdays. How long should I allow for the train and bus ride to get from Munich to the castle?

Posted by
19092 posts

First place, it's the Bayern-Ticket, and it's not valid for travel before 9 AM on workdays. It cost 25€ for one person, 31€ for two.

If you take the 9:52 train from the Munich Hbf, you'll get to the Bahnhof in Füssen at 11:55. The bus (fare included with the Bayern-Ticket) leaves from in front of the Bahnhof at 12:05 and lets you off at the bus stop in Hohenschwangau at 12:13. It's a short walk (about 5 minutes) from there to the ticket kiosk where you can pick up your reserved tickets. There is one counter for ticket pick-up; when I was there last October, there was no line. You need to pick up your tickets 1½ hours before tour time, so don't reserve a tour for before 2:00 pm (14:00), maybe 14:30 to be safe. That will still give you plenty of time.

If perhaps you want to get an earlier start, the train that leaves Munich Hbf at 8:53 leaves the Pasing station at 9:00 so the Bayern-Ticket is valid from there. Buy an innerzone Tageskarte for 2,90€/P to cover your travel to Pasing. You can then move all the times up one hour (tour at 13:30).

You'll find schedules for the train and bus on the Bahn's query website.

Posted by
32 posts

One other thing to note: for me, at least, the time I was given was not the same time I requested; it was about an hour later.

Posted by
86 posts

How far in advance did you buy tour tickets? Is Hohenschwangau worth visiting also or just maybe exploring Fussen?

Posted by
19092 posts

From the "ticket kiosk" link I provided above,

All tickets can be reserved in advance. Reservations for the same day are not possible.

So it looks like you can reserve up to the day before. I think I reserved5 or 6 days before, just before I left home, so I knew I would have a printer to print the tickets.

Posted by
51 posts

Hello
We enjoyed both castles and we toured them on the same day. I would recommend seeing both of them if you have time.

Posted by
2712 posts

I would also recommend doing both castles. They were interesting in different ways. I loved both of them.

Posted by
104 posts

You can book through Viator.com - They're got pretty strict standards in choosing tour companies to work with. The prices include the journey there and some tours include the 14 euro attraction entrance.

Posted by
86 posts

My tour is scheduled for 13:25 for Neuschwanstein. Do you need to book Hohenschwangau tickets in advance as well? If my tour for Neuschwanstein is at 13:25, what time should I try to tour Hohenschwangau? Thanks again