Please sign in to post.

Visa card

Does the tap Visa card still need a four digit pin?

Posted by
74 posts

Yes, for larger amounts, which can vary per country and even per shop. In most cases, amounts below 50 euro do not need the PIN, but sometimes the amount can be as low as 20 or 25 euro.
Also, after frequent transactions without PIN, a PIN can be requested. These are security measures, to protect the cardholder against fraudulent use.
This is my personal experience, using Mastercard and debit cards (all European) in Belgium, Germany, Austria and Italy.

Posted by
15107 posts

If you have an American Visa card, more than likely you won't have a PIN assigned to it. If you go over the contactless limit, it will revert to a signature card.

Posted by
32825 posts

same experiences here in the UK, but the limit is almost universally £100, with higher or no limit on Apple Pay.

Posted by
4140 posts

What Frank said . There are a very few American issued Visa and Mastercards that do have a true PIN ( Andrews Federal Credit Union and Barclay Bank )

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you so much for all the prompt feedback. I'll check with my bank and see if I can be assigned a PIN for our Visa.

Posted by
4140 posts

Be aware that having the bank assign you a PIN is likely not to be the answer you desire . . Generally using a PIN designed in that manner causes any transaction using it will post as a cash advance .

Posted by
6422 posts

I was in Germany for a month last year (and rented a car for a portion of that time) and never once had to give a PIN. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by
1482 posts

We traveled to Germany in December with Visa Cards. Hotels and Restaurants did not ask for the pin. Deutsche Bahn did want a pin to sell a ticket. I have no idea if the automat ticket machines have the tap feature.

Posted by
4776 posts

We used the DBNavigatior app to buy train tickets in Germany, and it was a breeze! You set up an account linked to your credit card, no problem. However, the actual ticket machines at the train station wanted a pin, which we didn't have. Safe travels!