Please sign in to post.

Vegan in Berlin

I'm in the early stages of planning a Berlin trip, and I'm researching vegan-friendly restaurants and biergartens. I know Germany is the land of wurst and such (I'm wayyy generalizing, of course) but I'm hoping Berlin is urban and foodie enough to have creative options for me. I've found several restaurants that are vegan-friendly, but they're the usual international staples: Thai, Mediterranean, etc. Anyone found a veg-friendly restaurant serving creative plays on quintessential German food? Unlike most people, I've never met a veggie sausage I didn't like. :)

Besten Dank!

Posted by
8942 posts

Germany is changing and almost 20% of the population is either Vegan or Vegetarian. There are tons of vegan restaurants in Berlin that go far beyond a veggie sausage. Have you googled vegan in Berlin or gone to the Happy Cow website?

In Frankfurt, every restaurant I go to has at least 1-2 Vegan options as a meal or you can always put together a meal so am pretty sure that Berlin is the same. The Beyond Burgers are showing up at burger restaurants everywhere.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you, @Ms.Jo! I always assume an urban area will have plenty of options, and Google has definitely turned up some cool spots, like Vöner (vegan döner kebabs). Thanks for the Happy Cow recommendation - I hadn't thought of that! If anyone has a favorite spot in Berlin, I'd love to add specific places to my list that come recommended by the RS community. :)

Posted by
13934 posts

I’ve not been to Berlin so no favorites but I suggest you have a printed out translation card. I have a couple, one I printed from Happy cow I think and another from the Toronto Vegetarian group. I handed it to wait staff several times in Germany and it was quite helpful.

Twice the servers smiled and said “me too”! When I pointed to something on the menu I thought would work they each looked, shook their heads and asked if they could bring me what they usually ate there. One was a mushroom stroganoff type dish that was not on the menu and was delicious. I was afraid it was not vegan but the server insisted and it didn’t upset my stomach so it must have been. I had good experiences in Germany!

Posted by
2219 posts

Berlin is paradise for vegans - even if only 4-5% are on that way but also the meat-eaters join that restaurants once or twice.

Berlin has also two vegan Christmas markets, e.g. Green Market.