Please sign in to post.

Trip to Munich in late June 2021

Considering a trip to the Munich area in about a month for a vacation with my family and parents. Is there enough stuff open in Bavaria to make this work or would you pick another destination? Any insights on how Munich will be in June 2021 would be appreciated. None of us have traveled to Munich before.

Posted by
338 posts

What are some of your interests? The Deutsches Museum is open, but tickets must be bought online and in advance. How old are your family members? Children where it might not be appropriate to go to Dachau? Give us a little more info please.

Posted by
338 posts

What about interests? Diverse ages so will you want things that might interest the children or adults. Will the kids be ok going to museums like seeing the state treasury? What about a day trip to Salzburg, sound of music country. I did a day trip to Kufstein - castle on a hill.

Posted by
459 posts

Hiking in the Alps will be open, food and hotels might still have some restrictions Individual sites will need to be checked regularly as things change rapidly. The good news is that things are trending well.

Posted by
6651 posts

"Is there enough stuff open in Bavaria..."

Bavaria is gigantic, and so much of it is outdoors. Generally speaking, outdoor "stuff" in Germany should be mostly available to you. I was just on Boppard's German-language chairlift page - they're open, just bring your masks. The terrific Franconian Open-air museum in Bavaria (near Nuremberg) is open (with mask required) and offers takeaway food. Bavarian palaces: many facilities are open but some have off-limits zones. Click on "Which sights are open/closed?" at the following page:

https://www.schloesser.bayern.de/englisch/palace/objects/coronainfo-faq.htm#liste

Posted by
571 posts

Brian, not sure where you would be coming from, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get to Germany right now for leisure travel related reasons from North America right now.

Posted by
293 posts

Brian, not sure where you would be coming from, but I'm not sure how
easy it is to get to Germany right now for leisure travel related
reasons from North America right now.

There is a straightforward answer: it is not at the moment possible to come for touristic purposes from North America (and most of the rest of the world outside the EU). Here are the official rules: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus#content_0

But what will be in a month... who knows?

Posted by
2 posts

We have a trip planned for August/September and are in a wait and see mode. We are not ready to say we will or won’t go. Some part of me thinks it will get better and then the other shoe will drop. Love Germany and the people but I am wary.