Please sign in to post.

Trip Advice 2019 Mid May 9 days/9 nights

I apologize in advance, as a good part of this I've submitted previously, but have now mostly firmed up my goals and need some advice. I know this may be a bit of a stretch of time (9 days) vs. places to see but let's see what you guys think. He's my background again:
I am male 60 traveling solo, modest means, in very good health (love to walk). Probably not going to look to rent a car, but could if it made sense for any part of this trip, but trains for sure. Plan is for a carryon backpack, possible small daypack as well.
Besides some general sightseeing in Munich and Berlin, 2 of my main interests are the Holocaust and Beethoven. (Somewhat complete opposites); Want to go to Dauchau, maybe Nuremberg. Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, and Vienna...along with as much of the experiences along the way. My flight lands Munich Thursday morning 10:30 and I leave the following Saturday afternoon Berlin. Do I make my way to Vienna (first 2 days) from airport and work my way back thru Salzburg (1 day), Berchtesgaden/Munich (3 days), Nuremberg/Berlin (3 days)....???? Of course, want to experience the food, beer, parks, people, museums, etc...
I haven't made any sleeping (hotels/B&B/ABNB/Hostel) nor sightseeing (Salzburg/Vienna concerts; Reichstag bldg., etc) arrangements yet.
I'm sure I left something out (lol). And Thank You in advance for reading all of this and responding to parts or all of it.

Posted by
3835 posts

I personally think you are trying to pack in too much. If you want to try to get in all the things mentioned, you could do something like: Munich x 3 nights (with half-day trip to Dachau and day trip to Nuremberg), Salzburg x 2 nights (with day trip to Berchtesgaden), Vienna x 2 nights, Berlin (via air*) x 2 nights. That eliminates back-tracking but is terribly rushed and really cheats Berlin. You also have 3 travel days in 9 days; you lose a lot of time on travel days. I personally don't like moving that much, either. And the "experience... people" part? Forget about it!

I still like Sam's proposal in a previous post: Munich x 3 nights, Nuremberg x 2 nights, and Berlin x 4 nights. If Vienna/Beethoven is a "must see" on this trip, I would think about Munich x 2-3 nights, Vienna x 2-3 nights, and Berlin x 3-4 nights, according to your interests. The latter itinerary, of course, loses more time to travel. Of note, Salzburg is on the train route to Vienna, so you can stop there for a few hours if you would like to do so.

*Flights from Vienna to Berlin are CHEAP when booked in advance. Right now: easyJet flight to Berlin Tegel is 38.49€ on a random Wednesday in May (5/9) without advance seat assignment and with cabin bag only (+7€ for coach seat assignment; +15-20€ for checked bag). Austrian Air flights to Berlin Tegel are 43€ for no seat assignment + hand bag up to 8 kg OR 64€ for advance seat assignment + one checked bag. If you go the air route, make sure you know the carry on size/weight rules for the airline and expect them to be enforced.

Posted by
8938 posts

If your interests are the Holocaust, you need to spend more time in Berlin, not in Munich. Go to Sachsenhausen and Ravensbruck Concentration Camps, visit Track 17, the Wannasee Villa, the Olympic Stadium, Topography of Terror and the many Holocaust Memorials. Go on a 3rd Reich tour with a good company, like Insider Tours.

In Munich, would highly recommend touring with Dark History tours to get the best background on the 3rd Reich.

Your trip is too much, too many places. Save Salzburg, Vienna, etc. for a 2nd trip.

Posted by
151 posts

TY guys for the feedback. I don't know if I will really make it back for a 2nd trip. That's why the cramming. I'll consider all you said..ty Happy New year.

Posted by
14503 posts

You are almost a decade younger than I, also traveling solo in Germany. With your interests given your pressing time constraint, I would focus on the just 2 cities, Vienna and Berlin.

If I had your schedule of landing at 10:30 in Munich, I would see that as 2 available options. #1. spend the rest of the day in Munich seeing the historical and cultural sights, including the Feldherrnhalle where Hitler attempted his botch Putsch, the Bürgerbräukellar Putsch, of 1923. Put the luggage in a coin locker in Munich Hbf. Take the night train to Vienna.

The second option: After finishing with Munich airport, take the ICE train direct to Berlin, where you should get in by 7 pm. If I had such a short period, I would want to stretch out as much time remaining as possible, ie take the Berlin to Vienna night train. There are two direct routes now, the newest is through Poland...very logical and convenient.

The main thing here given your short time, how desperate are you to see your interest sights and places and within your travel style, if that matters. I would have no problems doing either option 1 or 2...easily as outlined.

If you end up choosing Munich over Vienna, then no Beethoven.