Please sign in to post.

Travelling alone

I was all set to head to Germany this May, via a local travel site that was being "highlighted" on a community forum. I had paid the down payment and then was emailed the appropriate papers that I needed to complete and return. I read each and every line of the agreement and when it came down to final payment, I was stopped short. Because I'm single, they were going to fine me an additional 789 dollars. So, my question is this. Are there other options out there where I can cruise or take trips without having that proverbial "double occupancy" ruling. Do I need to ask if they will provide roommates? Or what other questions do I need to ask when using travel sites or even a travel agent? So, long story short, I cancelled the trip.

Posted by
9363 posts

Ah, yes, the "single supplement"! Very common.
RS tours do not charge it if you agree to be paired up with another single traveling alone. Sometimes you luck out and you will be the only single, thereby getting a room to yourself at no extra charge. If there is an uneven number of singles, they rotate room assignments so you will have a roommate sometimes, and sometimes not.

Posted by
32212 posts

It would help to know a bit more about what type of trip you were considering. Is this a guided tour, a river cruise or other type of excursion?

The single supplement is very common with tours and cruises. However, with adequate planning you can easily travel solo and avoid all that. In some hotels you'll be assigned a single room, which are usually somewhat "basic", but perfectly comfortable. Depending on availability you could also be assigned to a "double, single use" room which is a bit larger.

A bit more information on what you're considering would be helpful.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick Steves doesn't offer an all-German tour itinerary, but has several different routes that include Germany: http://www.ricksteves.com/tours/germany-austria-switzerland.

In addition to asking any tour company about a single supplement right upfront, also ask their policy on last-minute price adjustments (e.g., if the exchange rates change or the tour doesn't fill up). See similar topics at:

http://www.ricksteves.com/tours/why-travel-with-us/the-most-value-for-your-money

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/bus-tour-selfdefense

Posted by
13959 posts

As mentioned upthread, Rick Steves gives you the option of choosing to room with other travelers in your group of the same gender or paying a single supplement for a private room. Road Scholar does the same thing as well.

Frankly, I prefer to pay the single supplement to have a private room, but with both companies I know that is my choice up front and am not surprised as you were!

Posted by
11613 posts

Randcorn, it's not a "fine", it's a supplement. I also travel solo almost all the time, so I am used to either paying more than half the double rate for a single room. The cruise company or hotel must provide you with the same basic amenities that it would provide for two people, so I don't think it's unfair to have to pay a little more for privacy over sharing a room with a stranger. I think of the single rate being the basic rate, and the double rate giving a discount to people willing to share a room.

But as posted previously, there are some attractive alternatives.

Posted by
451 posts

I have almost a year's combined experience overseas traveling by myself. As the others have stated, it depends on whether you are on a tour or cruise. I have always tended to shy away from organized big tours and arrange things myself. I prefer staying in hostels and small hotels, you meet lots of fellow single travelers, some younger ones drinking their way through Europe to more mature people like yourself. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation at breakfast or any other time staying somewhere. Fellow travelers love to share advice! Some of my best travel experiences have been with people I started conversations with during breakfast. Hey, where are you going today? You are not married to them. If you feel like something else, take off and see something else. Just remember a bad area of town feels and looks the same whether in your hometown or overseas, but less crime occurs overseas! People are much more willing to walk up and offer help, if you are lost or trying to get your bearings than when you are part of a group. In general, people are nice and helpful! You will have a great time! Just please go!