Please sign in to post.

Traveling through Munich during Octoberfest 2024

Hello, my wife and I are planning a trip to Germany, not the city of Munich, but landing at the Munich airport and passing through to the Hauptbanhof (train station) then to the Ost. train station...on the way to Berchtesgaden. Not participating in any Octoberfest activities. Anyone did this during past Octoberfests? I wonder if it's going to be too difficult with crowded trains or even walk through the Hauptbanhof?

Posted by
20103 posts

Should be barely noticeable. You can go directly from the airport to the Ostbahnhof by taking the S-8 train that goes every 20 minutes. And the S-1 will also go to the Ostbahnhof directly through the Hauptbahnhof, so you don't have to get off the train until you arrive at the Ostbahnhof. The S-1 and S-8 alternate departures from the airport every 10 minutes.

Posted by
4844 posts

Agree with Sam that it should not impact you at all. Especially if your airport arrival is in the a.m.

Posted by
4412 posts

Not sure this matches, but I was in Munich at the beginning of October (so that should have been the end of O'fest).

Took the train from Salzburg to Munich HBF and the S Bahn out to the airport. Next day took the S Bahn into and out of downtown back to the airport. Saw no indications at all that O'Fest was going on, which now seems odd.

I"m guessing most of the festivities take place only in the fairgrounds, although of course there would be increased activity at the airport. Munich airport is great BTW, almost enjoyable.

Posted by
8383 posts

Actually, what is really quite fun is seeing groups and families join the S train from the airport dressed in traditional dress. It is so much fun! They mostly all get off before the main train station.