Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Amsterdam to Frankfurt(to visit family in Bitburg)

Hi everyone,

My significant other and I are currently in Amsterdam. We are here till the 9th(or 10th) and from here will need to get to Bitburg Germany by the 11th to visit my family.

From my research, I am thinking we are going to train from Amsterdam to Frankfurt airport, rent a car for 2 weeks(possibly a week), and drive from Frankfurt to Bitburg. We are probably only going to stay with my brother and his family for 2 days and then take the car to explore more of the "remote" areas(small towns and such) of Germany before returning the car and traveling onward.

Does anyone have any suggestions on car rental places that are not directly in the airport(to try to avoid the premium pickup location)? What about places to see/visit?

Thanks!

Posted by
16893 posts

If you look at train schedules from Amsterdam to Bitburg, the recommended connection point is at Cologne, not Frankfurt. So Cologne would also be a logical option for car pick-up, and a shorter/cheaper train ticket.

Posted by
12040 posts

The direct ICE trains from Amsterdam to Germany stop at Duisburg, Düsseldorf, Köln, Montabaur and Siegburg before reaching Frankfurt. Any one of these should have car rental options nearby.