Please sign in to post.

Travel to Germany

My husband and I are going to Germany around Christmas this year. We are from Texas what kind of weather can we expect? We will arrive in Munich and stay two days before heading out to see Ludwigs castles and then on to Vienna?

Posted by
1275 posts

Travel with layers and have a water proof outside layer. Temperatures can swing from 50F to 15F with snow and rain (normal altitude). It's hard to predict the weather this time of year. Warming trends lately, but we have had bitter cold temps too and the mountains throw a curve in there. I've had a nice warm fire for very cold Christmas and other years it has been 50F and the windows open. Higher elevations of course are colder. Ski season generally begins around 15 December on the Piste. I would recommend gloves, scarf and a knit cap too. Shoes/boots should be water proof. Modern gear is lighter and has better thermal protection than most Trachten wool and leather. You won't be acclimated, so you will be cold, even with a recent "Blue Northerner" at home. Honestly I hope you have cold and snow for the picture book experience.

Posted by
1275 posts

Good point, dark at 16:30 and light at 08:00 local. With 21/22 December the Solstice... Go to work in the dark and go home in the dark. Makes the Weihnachts Markt festive until they close around 20:00.