Please sign in to post.

Travel to Germany (10 days) Dec 27, 2021 (spots to visit?)

Hello, new to this forum. So much good info here, thanks!

The family trip is still on for Dec 27 (fully vaccinated with a booster shot). Looks like Germany does not (today) require vaccinated travelers coming from the US to be even tested. Wanted to drive to Switzerland but testing requirements seem to be painful (to enter test required plus another test day 4-7). Waiting for news from Austria on reopening/rules coming on Dec 12 I believe.

So flying into Munich and getting a car rental for 10 days.

Please recommend spots to visit. Thinking Munich, of course, Salzburg if entering Austra by car becomes possible and not too painful.
Maybe to see Garmisch - any other spot in Bavarian Alps?

Not look much into indoor activities so if things are closed not the end of the world. Don't care much about eating indoors either.

Any advice/input is appreciated. Understand that traveling these days brings so much uncertainty and anxiety, but don't think travel carries more risk if I travel within the US - other than no worries about US return since I am within the US :)

Posted by
7448 posts

Just be aware that each State within Germany has it's own requirements regarding testing and other restrictions once you are there (aside from general entry requirements) including 2G and 2G+ requirements for restaurants and other venues. Bavaria is one State that has added restrictions in response to case rate.

Posted by
6589 posts

Are you booked for all nights in Munich? Some nights elsewhere? Completely unbooked?

Please recommend spots to visit.

Parameters needed for tailored suggestions. Otherwise, Rick offers this for Germany.

Don't care much about eating indoors either.

You're taking all meals outdoors?? In the car?

Posted by
6428 posts

I think you'll have a hard time avoiding indoor eating in December-January, and you may find other outdoor opportunities limited by winter weather. (Is skiiing an option?) With ten days I'd suggest some time in Berlin, filled with history and culture, maybe a good choice for the last days of your trip so you can ditch the car when you get there and fly home open-jaw.

I'd also suggest that you consider limiting your trip to Germany so you don't have to deal with separate Covid rules for Austria. But if Salzburg is a definite goal it may be worth the hassle.

Posted by
1936 posts

Definitely look into every city's Covid requirements, bring N95 masks for family as most Germans wear those instead of the surgical masks. Also make plans on where to get tested before returning to US and what to do if test comes back positive.

Most activities in Germany are indoors at end of December as is dining.

I'd also restrict myself to Germany to avoid the hassles of going to another country right now.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone - will take a look at 2G, 2G+ requirements. 2G does not seem a big deal (full vaccination plus mask). Is there a map indicating whether a city/area is under 2G/2G+/3G is in effect or one would just learn it once they try to enter an indoor venue/restaurant etc?

2G requirement seem reasonable - just saw it in the Garmisch area if we want to go Zugspitze:
https://zugspitze.de/de/Zugspitze

Sticking with Germany only may be a good idea unless we hear some positive news with no strict requirements coming from Austria on Dec 13 I think.

Posted by
3809 posts

Salzburg's Christmas market reopens today. The website has all the requirements to attend the market, though these seem to be in flux a bit. I haven't been keeping up with entry requirements for Austria, so I can't offer guidance on that.

https://christkindlmarkt.co.at/

Posted by
3809 posts

any other spot in Bavarian Alps?

Russ is an amazing resource. If you provide the info he requests, he will give you some great places to go!

Posted by
1274 posts

For staying in the Bayerischen Alpen take a look south of the Chiemsee: Ruhpolding, Reit im Winkl, Aschau im Chiemgau, Oberaudorf etc.

Posted by
1357 posts

Dachau in suburban Munich is worth a visit (half-day) and will be a somber experience. The village of Hohenschwangau has two fabulous castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau - you can visit both in a day trip! In route you can also drop by the beautiful Wieskirche.

Posted by
3809 posts

So... did you make it to Germany/Austria? How did it go?

Posted by
4 posts

Yes, we did end up going, as scheduled, after a bit of flight cancellations drama. We had a great time visiting Munich and the Bavarian Alps (Schwangau and Garmisch/Zugspitze). Went to Austria too (Wien and Salzburg). All done with car rental (Alamo Munich - awesome guys). Few places had 2G+ requirements but our 3rd booster show was enough to meet that requirement. CDC issues card worked fine everywhere and was matched up with our passports (e.g. BMW Museum in Munich, Salzburg Xmass market, and a few other spots). There are many places in Munich to take the covid test prior to returning to the US (during the visit one can get tested for free and we paid ~$10 per person to get antigen test results e-mailed to us (no PCR required for the US travel return). Munich airport United agents did ask us to show negative test results. Please let me know if I can further assist as this was a recent journey.