Please sign in to post.

Travel insurance

My wife & I are flying from the U.S. to Germany where we will visit various locations by rental car & train before flying home. We're looking for recommendations re: travel insurance. Thanks.

Posted by
4862 posts

Insurance needs and costs vary widely from person to person. Not every policy will suit everyone. Best to check with an insurance broker like insure my trip or squaremouth. Or just Google Best Travel Insurance 2023 for a whole page of articles.

Posted by
992 posts

There are many travel insurances out there to purchase. The older you are and the more coverage you need the cost goes up. The airline insurance offered at the time of purchasing flights is not really comprehensive enough but it is better than nothing.

I have used Traveguard and more recently Travel Insured (There is a discount for USAA customers). I have sent in claims several times for delays, lost luggage, lost wallet, and received decent customer service from both companies. I have not had to claim medical. The medical coverage is what I really look at just in case there is a tragic accident and you need to get back to the USA.

Also, pre-existing conditions are usually not covered unless you purchase the insurance within 15 days of you first payment for the trip. You will also need to add this information in before you receive a quote.

Good Luck

Posted by
1482 posts

A few years ago I purchase travel insurance through a USAA referral. I had a minor accident and learned a few things.

First, for an ambulance and treatment at an urgent care center (check for concussion and stitches by a surgeon), it costs me 50$ and 100$ respectively. I paid out of pocket initially.

Second, the purchased insurance would pay nothing until after I applied for coverage from all other possible sources. I had my wife's work insurance and my Tricare. My wife's insurance paid 100% swiftly. No wonder at such a low cost compared what it would have been in the states.

It made me wonder why I bothered with insurance? Evacuation to the States?

Posted by
4862 posts

Gary MC. You were lucky since all you needed was an ER visit. But what if it had been a major accident and you needed surgery and a hospital stay? Or if you had a heart attack and wound up in ICU? That's why you want travel insurance. Because stuff happens, and sometimes it's big stuff. I had an overnight hospital stay in Germany a few years ago for observation and ALL the tests for a suspected TIA. DH was on the phone to our travel insurance company while we were still in the ER to make sure we were clear on all the steps we needed to take. Luckily I was back on my feet and discharged the next day. They reimbursed us 100%.

Posted by
1482 posts

C Jean. The travel insurance said that all other payers had to be billed first. My wife's insurance would still have been the primary insurance in the insurance company's eyes.

Tricare (retired military) says that all insurance companies should be billed first (US law). I am not sure where I would have stood. I have read the "Tricare for Life" information on line. I think they would have provided coverage if there was no other payer.

US health insurance is a jungle. It is hard to assume anything.