Please sign in to post.

Travel from Salzburg to Munich

Can I buy a Bayern ticket to travel from Salzburg to Munich? Thanks!

Posted by
2333 posts

Yes. Salzburg HBF is technically the first station in Bavaria.

Posted by
6644 posts

If the Bayern Ticket is for your August trip, DO NOT buy it now. If your plans change over the next 5-6 months and you cannot use it on the date for which it is purchased, you will forfeit the ticket. No refund.

There is NO pressure on you to buy this Ticket. The Bayern Ticket price will not increase as tickets sell (like saver fare tickets do.) The Bayern Ticket does NOT reserve (or even guarantee) a seat no matter when you buy it. The Bayern Ticket does NOT sell out. It will be available for sale on the day of travel at Salzburg station from a ticket machine, or using the DB app, or perhaps the OEBB app, and you will have the same chance at getting a seat on this train as anyone who buys it in advance... Just line up early at the platform and grab any seat you like.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you for the help! Even though I have traveled in NYC and Atlanta by train, the Munich train system intimidates me!!

Posted by
246 posts

Hi Judy, Do not be intimidated by the German Rail system. It makes far more sense than NYC or Atlanta. It is handy to have the DB app (in English) on your phone for electronic ticketing as well. Enjoy your trip!