Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Munich

Hi everyone, i will be in Munich from 28 Dec to 11 Jan. Is there any tips on transportation guide? I would prefer to buy a pass that allows me to travel on rail and busses with unlimited access.

Posted by
19238 posts

There are several day tickets (Tageskarten) for use in Munich depending on how many zones you want to travel in and how many people. They are valid for unlimited use of all conveyance in the designated zone(s) - S-/U-Bahn, trams, and buses. For a single person who stays in the inner zone, where most of the commonly visited venues are, the Tageskarte is 6,60€. If you want to go to Dachau, which is about the only popular venue in the second zone, you will need a Munich XXL Tageskarte for 8,80€. An entire network ticket, handy for going to the airport, is 12,80. Here is a link to the Munich metro (MVV) website.

For travel in Munich and to other parts of Bavaria, there are a number of regional passes. One, the Bayern-Ticket, allows you to travel by regional trains anywhere in Bavaria, also to Salzburg and Kufstein, Austria, and to Ulm, Baden-Württemberg. It also includes most buses of the extensive RVO bus system. It looks like you are traveling alone; a Bayern-Ticket for one is 25€ and is valid from 9 AM workdays, midnight AM weekend days, until 3 AM the next morning. It can also be used for travel on local transportation (S-/U-Bahn, trams, and buses) in cities like Munich and Nürnberg.

There are other, less expensive regional tickets that cover only a part of Bavaria. Some cover conveyances in cities like Munich, some don't. Here is a link to info on such tickets in Bavaria. There is one other ticket, the Guten-Tag-Ticket(in German only) that is valid on a number of lines in Bavaria, including the Meridian trains between Munich and Salzburg. It does not include conveyance of the MVV.

Posted by
33513 posts

Lee,

that is a great summary. And when using a Guten-Tag-Ticket on either the Meridian or the BOB there are a number of additional attraction discounts available.

Posted by
14792 posts

Hi,

How about staying at a hotel that gives you free a combi-ticket with unlimited access to the S-Bahn, U-Bahn and the buses.

Posted by
33513 posts

I'd like that, Fred. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks.

Posted by
1666 posts

I've always rented a car whilst in Europe but would make an exception for Germany in the future. When I finally retire, I hope to relax in Munich for 2 or 3 weeks, and Lee's information is very helpful. I was not aware that Kufstein, Salzburg and Ulm were part the day ticket, even though the 9:00am start is slightly restrictive. Maybe I'll retire earlier to take advantage of this deal.

Posted by
11294 posts

Something Lee has posted before, although he didn't say it in this thread: if you are traveling before 9 AM on a weekday and using a Bayern ticket, all you have to do is buy a separate ticket from your start point to the first station you will be hitting after 9 AM. Once you've passed that station, everything in Bavaria is covered for the rest of the day.

Remember that there is no start time restriction on weekends.