Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Munich Airport

Our hotel is a five minute walk from the main train station. Are we better taking the train or shuttle bus?

Posted by
635 posts

Where is your hotel? It may be very convenient to a stop on one of the S-Bahn lines from the airport, other than the main train station itself.

S-Bahn trains leave the Munich Airport Terminal toward the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) on two different lines. The S1 line travels generally counterclockwise around the north and west sides of the city to the Hbf, while S8 goes clockwise around the east side. Their paths cross at the Hbf, then go on to different final destinations. S1 and S8 trains leave from the airport in staggered 20-minute intervals, and both take about the same 40 minutes to get to the Hbf.

Posted by
635 posts

That's directly across the street from the Hbf, on the north side. Unless the shuttle bus is free of charge, there's no reason not to take the S-Bahn, either S1 or S8.

An Airport-City Day Ticket is 12,40 € for one person or 23,20 € for a group of up to five people. It covers not only the trip from the airport to the Hbf, but also any other ride(s) on the entire network (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses) until 6 am the following day.

More details on the Munich transit system tickets here.

Posted by
980 posts

I've stayed there and taken both the train and the Lufthansa shuttle bus. No real benefit of one over the other except the bus is at street level whereas the train is underground and the bus is a few euros cheaper.

DJ

Posted by
19103 posts

If you get the day ticket for the S-Bahn, it is valid for any other travel you might want to do in Munich after you check in, like take the S-Bahn to Marienplatz. Not so with the bus; any other travel would be extra.

Also, the time it takes to get to the airport by the S-Bahn is pretty reliable, whereas the buses can get stuck in traffic.

BTW, when I have an early flight out of MUC, I stay in Freising, and take the MVV bus (20 min) to the airport.

Posted by
980 posts

Good point Lee,

The only time I took the bus is when I was going to the airport from the hotel and I knew that was all the travel I would do that day. Typically arriving in Munich I use a day ticket.

DJ

Posted by
19103 posts

When I take the S-Bahn to the airport, I'm pretty confident it will get there on time, since it has it's own dedicated rail line. The bus goes on city streets. It could get delayed in traffic.

I'll pay the extra 0.60€ (for two) for the assurance. Actually, when I have an early flight from MUC, I stay in Freising and take the 20 min, 2,70€ bus from there to the airport.