Please sign in to post.

transport

I'll be visiting Germany for the first time at the end of August.

I'll be flying into Berlin.

I'm wondering which airport- Tegel or Schoenefeld- would better for me to fly into, if I need to get to my hotel in the Mitte area? I initially thought the Schoenefeld airport because the flight time was better. Would it make a difference for me?

When I arrive to the airport, which train or bus would I need to get onto- to go to Mitte? Is there a senior's all day pass, or multi-day pass to buy from the station? (I will be in Berlin for 4 days).

After the 4 days, I will visit Hamburg. Which would be recommended? To take the train or bus to Hamburg, to get to my hotel in the Altona area?

So far, my only plan is a day trip to Potsdam. Are there any recommended day trips? Other than that, I am going to "wing it" and play it by ear...

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
2085 posts

Mitte is a huge district of 40 sqkm and over 400,000 residents. So your description is not very precisely.

In general all parts of Mitte can be reached by bus and train from both airports (see overview map).
Best is to use BVG journey planner before your journey - enter either from TXL (Tegel) or SXF (Schönefeld).

There are a lot basic things to know about Berlin's public transport. Most important: Never forget to validate / time stamp a ticket.

To be honest you will not have to think about a second day trip with only 4 days in Berlin. Even a minimum 3-day itinerary provided by VisitBerlin does not include some sights. You will find enough to see and do in Berlin - only the top 10 can fill 2 days easily if you do not only visit sights from outside. Some walking tours will give you also a good overview e.g. of the eastern center.

Within Berlin city limits (hugher land area than NYC) you will need an AB fare ticket. Day tickets make most sense. Check also option of Welcome Card which includes a day ticket if you plan to visit sights. For Potsdam you will need ABC ticket or minimum an extension ticket per direction if you have bought an AB ticket already:
https://sbahn.berlin/en/tickets/all-tickets/single-tickets/extension-ticket/

To Hamburg bus and train are both valid alternatives. In Hamburg public transport is operated by HVV. Also Altona is a huge district. Tip: if you travel by train enter the addresses from / to you want to travel to get prices which include the local public transport ("city ticket").

Posted by
4684 posts

Tegel is in Zone B but Schoenefeld is in Zone C. If you intend to go to Potsdam you can get an ABC pass but if not get an AB pass and a single ticket in from Schoenefeld if necessary. A four day stay is the only point at which one of the "tourist" cards with attraction discounts is worth getting, as the four-day tourist cards are about the same price as a normal seven-day pass.