Please sign in to post.

Trains

Has anyone purchased a pass through Eurail? I saw that RS suggested to start on the DB website. I am confused. Is Eurail a different train company than DB? What is the difference? We will be traveling a lot by train so I am looking to get some sort of pass. According to Eurail they have different passes depending on the number of days that you might need to use the train. Any help will be appreciated!

Posted by
2333 posts

Eurail is a reseller, not a train operator like DB. You will only know whether a pass is worthwhile for you if you compare what individual saver fare tickets cost for your connections and how many cheap regional day tickets like the Bayernticket you can use. As a rule, this approach will be cheaper than a pass. The usual counter- argument is that saver fares are train-specific. Right. But as soon as you want to reserve a seat, train passes automatically are too.

Posted by
134 posts

Eurail is a booking agency. DB, SNCF and so on are national railway systems that operate trains. Read RS and Man in Seat 61 for rail pass info.

Posted by
6643 posts

You will only know whether a pass is worthwhile for you if you compare
what individual saver fare tickets cost for your connections and how
many cheap regional day tickets like the Bayernticket you can use. As
a rule, this approach will be cheaper than a pass.

Price of course matters in the decision. But other considerations will sometimes make the rail pass a better value. In recent years I have opted for the non-pass options (saver fares, day passes, etc.) for my own travel and have provided lots of advice on this forum with the goal of helping others obtain and travel with these products. This week, however, I purchased a rail pass for my May trip. It's been 20 years since I traveled with a pass, but the nature of my upcoming trip called for the pass.

You might get some more specific help here if you can tell us more about your destinations, train journeys, number of travelers, travel season, etc.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks for the input. We are a family of 4 (16, 12) and we will only be traveling by train.
Day 1 Fly into Berlin
Day 2 Berlin
Day 3 Go and stay in Bautzen
Day 4 Travel to Nuremberg in afternoon
Day 5 Nuremberg
Day 6 Day trip to Bamberg
Day 7 Day trip ? Somewhere close
Day 8 Travel to Munich in am
Day 9 Day Trip to Saltzberg
Day 10 Munich
Day 11 Fly Home

Any suggestions on getting a pass or individual tickets?

Posted by
3227 posts

I am not even close to being a train expert, but even I can tell you that that itinerary does not warrant the ER pass. I hope Russ chimes in, but it may warrant the Bayern pass. Personally, I would just buy point to point tkts, but then saving a few bucks is not a big deal to us.

Posted by
20103 posts

Day 3 can be done with a Quer durchs Land ticket for 64 EUR for the whole family. Travel after 9 am weekdays, anytime weekends, local trains only. Does not take much more time than using mainline trains.

Day 4 can be done with a Quer durchs Land ticket for 64 EUR for the whole family. Travel after 9 am weekdays, anytime weekends, local trains only. Does not take much more time than using mainline trains.

Day 6 is a VGN local day ticket. Should be around 30 EUR for the family.

Day 7 is a VGN local day ticket if you stay in the VGN. Rothenburg o.d.T is one idea, but there are cute, less touristy towns in the district. Should be around 30 EUR for the family.

Day 8 can be done with a Bayern ticket. Leave after 9 am on weekdays, anytime weekends, local trains only. 49 EUR and includes local transport for the day.

Day 9 definitely use a a Bayern ticket. 49 EUR

Total of all of those will be about 1/3 the cost of a Eurail Pass. You could get it down to less if you are willing to go through the trouble of getting four 49 EUR Deutschland Tickets which are good for a month and include all regional trains and local transportation in Germany for a month. A few hoops to jump through, but doable.
https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/regional/deutschland-ticket

Posted by
8383 posts

The Deustchland ticket or "D" ticket is probably the best deal for you. You need to check a few details to confirm. It looks to me that almost all of your travel would be covered including the trip to Salzburg if you avoided high speed trains.
The D ticket allows for unlimited regional trains, buses and trams throughout Germany for 49 euros for calendar month.

If your trip is all within one calendar month then 49 euros is what you will pay. If it spreads over two months than the price doubles to 98 euros.

I find it give excellent value as you always have your ticket ready and can take any public transport. It is a subscription service so there is one hoop to jump through which is to cancel the subscription after the month(s) you want to use it. That is as easy as pushing a button included in an email.

To purchase, download the MVV app onto your phone. (This is Munch Transport network site) and set up an account.
Sign up for the D ticket stating the month that you want it to be active. (I waited until about 3 weeks before my trip to purchase)
Purchase the D ticket. A QR code will be downloaded onto the app.
You will receive an email from MVV with a link embedded for canceling your subscription. If you only need one month, go ahead and cancel it about 5 minutes after receiving the email. If you need it for two months, save the email carefully and put a reminder on your phone to cancel in a few weeks.

We loved the ease and money savings involved with the D ticket. Just remember high speed trains (IC ICE) are not covered.

Posted by
27 posts

So, I did some research. I think that if I pick out the train specific tickets:
Berlin to Bautzen
Bautzen to Nuremberg
Nuremberg to Munich

and get the D Ticket, that will be a lot cheaper than the pass. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bonus - the walking tour to Saltzberg includes the train tickets !

Posted by
20103 posts

Just guessing that this trip is in July. Bought now Berlin to Bautzen will be 74.70 EUR with nonrefundable Super Sparpreis tickets for your group. Takes 2 hours and 38 minutes. But you will already have Deutschland Tickets. With these you could travel free in 3 hours and 37 minutes. So you are paying 74.40 EUR to save 1 hour.

Bautzen to Nuremberg looks to be at least 200 EUR for you family with fast trains with refundable Super Sparpreis tickets, but then I don't know your exact travel dates. Takes 4 1/2 hours at the quickest. You can do it in 5 hours and 40 minutes with regional trains and it won't cost you a dime with D Tickets. Now you are spending 200 EUR to save 1 hour.

Nuremberg to Munich can be had for 50 EUR with Super Sparpreis tickets and taking 1 hour and 6 minutes. You can do it with a direct regional Express for nothing with the D Ticket in 1 hour and 29 minutes, so you are paying 50 EUR to save 23 minutes.

Those prices for Super Sparpreis tickets are only if you buy them today, or at least in the near future. They will go up over time.

And I don't see how the walking tour is a bonus because it includes train tickets. Sounds like you will be paying for train tickets included in the price that you do not need.

Posted by
2333 posts

So, I did some research. I think that if I pick out the train specific tickets:
[...]
Bautzen to Nuremberg [...] in afternoon

I would follow @Sam's advice and take regional trains from Bautzen to Nuremberg. For some connections, the time saved by taking a long-distance train is really negligible. For example, you can leave Bautzen at 14:42 and then in Dresden either take the long distance train via Leizipg in 5:10 (3 transfers) or the regional train via Hof in 5:40, i.e. only 30 minutes longer (and only 2 transfers). If you also take into account that long-distance trains presently are often late, while local trains are largely on time, the difference may shrink even further. The small difference in travel time is due to the fact that the regional trains take the direct route via Hof (which is also much more scenic), whereas the long-distance trains take a detour via Leipzig. In addition to the ICE saver fare ticket, you would have to add €18 for seat reservations, because on the train Leizipg - Nuremberg it is hardly possible without them.

To find the connections with regional trains, change the setting in "modes of transport" to "local transport only" in the DB connection search.

Posted by
6643 posts

If you also take into account that long-distance trains presently are
often late, while local trains are largely on time, the difference may
shrink even further.

Words of wisdom. Some recent ballpark figures from DB that indicate the differences in on-time performance...

Regional trains: 90%
High-speed/long-distance trains (ICE, IC, EC, RJX, etc.): 65%

I also agree largely with Sam's analysis.

Some additional advantages for regional trains:

• There's no need to commit to a strict train schedule 4 months in advance on a non-refundable ticket (as you must do with the saver fares.) All regional train tickets (like the day passes) will be available when you walk into the station - just as they would if you were boarding a subway train, light rail, or bus back home - which means you can even change your planned days of travel if you wish. And buying on the day of travel will cost you not a cent more than the price you see online right now. You can travel at ANY hour that same day on ANY regional train you like. Same with the Deutschlandticket.

• Travelers sometimes mess up. Newbie train travelers sometimes mess up more. But day passes and the Deutschland ticket offer you a kind of "insurance" against expensive goofs. Let's say 1) you miss your train... or let's say you know your track number and you board the train that's there - but 2) you missed the announcement that your train was assigned to a different track earlier that morning, so you ride the wrong train toward some random destination out of the station.

Saver fare ticket:

1) €0 value now. You must now buy a flex-preis (full-priced) ticket to reach your destination.
2) Your ticket checker will inform you that your ticket is invalid, that you will be fined for riding a train without a ticket, and that you must now buy a new flex-preis ticket (ouch.)

Day pass or D-Ticket:
1) No problem. Just ride the next regional train heading to your destination with the same day pass.
2) As long as you boarded the wrong REGIONAL train, there'll be no fine and no additional ticket needed. Your ticket-checker will provide directions for getting off and re-routing yourself. Your day pass is valid throughout whatever region you're in, so it's going to get you where you are going.

The day passes and D-Tickets -besides being cheap - provide mostly the same advantages and protections for REGIONAL trains that the EURAILPASS provides for the high-speed/long-distance trains.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you for all for your information and advice! Very helpful! I'm glad I checked here first and didn't just buy the flexi pass. That would have definitely been a lot more expensive.