Please sign in to post.

Train travel through Germany

Hi. We are 2 couples in the very early stages of planning a trip in September or October for 3 weeks to celebrate our husbands 80th birthdays. Our focus is Germany and we want to travel by train. We want to pick 3 or 4 places as our “bases of operation” then utilize day tours, public transportation, etc. to visit the attractions/ sights in each area. We want to stay at least 3 nights minimum in each selected area. We have been to Berlin so that city does not need to factor prominently in our plans. We love the thought of exploring small charming towns but obviously we realize we will be restricted by where the trains go. We have even considered flying into Vienna to spend a few additional days before starting our 3 week German adventure.
Last October/November my husband and I travelled through Spain via train for 28 days and it was perfect. We found the Spain trip easy to pull together but not being as familiar with Germany, we’re having some difficulty trying to piece it together and would appreciate any suggestions or advice you can offer.
Thanks so much for any thoughts!!
Peg

Posted by
8150 posts

I would fly into Vienna and spend a minimum of 4 days there. Then take the train to Salzburg and spend 2-3 days there. From there, it's just a couple of hours by train in to Munich--again worthy of 4 days.

From there, I would go south of Munich and/or go into Tirol around Innsbruck. The mountain scenery there is incredible.

You would still have time to go to Rothenburg or whatever towns in Germany you would like to see.

The last time we were in Germany, we visited Berlin. But we absolutely loved spending a long weekend in Dresden--the real Germany.

Posted by
15 posts

Hi David. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it! A few years ago my husband and I spent a month in Austria (actually landed in Budapest then took train to Austria). On that trip we spent several nights in Vienna, Innsbruck and Salzburg with side trips to Hallstatt and Bolzano so we really aren’t particularly interested in spending more time in Austria. Our traveling buddies have been to Austria as well but had very limited time in Vienna. That’s why we were thinking of including it.

Posted by
2413 posts

2 areas in Germany - middle Rhine, somewhere between Mainz and Koblenz. Although I have stayed in both, I prefer to stay in one of the villages. Bacharach is my choice. 2 nd area is Franconia, the area around Nuremberg. Again there are smaller towns that can be good choices. Bamberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are two. I also enjoyed staying in the smaller Lichtenfels

Two other areas I like are Stuttgart/Tuebingen and the Black Forest ( Gengenbach )

Posted by
8456 posts

"We love the thought of exploring small charming towns but obviously we realize we will be restricted by where the trains go. . ."

PT, the thing is, trains go to almost everywhere in Germany, so it's really more of what captures your interest, and an efficient routing. I would second the idea of spending some days in the Middle Rhine area (Bacharach is in there) where there are vineyards and castles to explore and the scenic Rhine Gorge, which is what they show in those Viking river cruise commercials. I'd start in Frankfurt, head for the Rhine (northwest) and then back southeast to Bavaria, time in Munich, the Bavarian Alps, Salzburg, and either head east for Vienna, or southwest for Luzern (Switzerland). Or circle back from Munich via Lindau on the Bodensee to the Black Forest region and up via Heidelberg to Frankfurt.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks so much, Stephen and Stan. These are some great suggestions and are very useful in helping us start to formulate some semblance of a route! I really appreciate you taking the time to offer advice

Peg.

Posted by
481 posts

Another enjoyable base is Dresden. In December I stayed in the Neustadt area. Easy access to trams to visit the Altstadt south of the river, a train station for day trip transportation, good assortment of restaurants. Some towns within day trip distance include Meissen, Bautzen, and Görlitz. The Saxon Switzerland area is nearby; I found Dresden's Tourist Information center very helpful and they would likely have suggestions for organized day tours to this area.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Den. We will definitely check this out. Sounds beautiful!!

Peg

Posted by
769 posts

Here's one itinerary that I think fits the bill:

1. Fly into Frankfurt and give yourself a night in Frankfurt or Mainz just to get acclimated and start recovering from jetlag. Then I would make the first stop Speyer. It is a charming town, rich in history. Worms just up the train route is also very important in history, although Speyer is the nicer place to stay in my opinion. Speyer gives you easy access to Heidelberg without actually staying in that more popular destination. Definitely make that an all-day daytrip or maybe two, depending on the length of your stay. By late September/early October the foliage along the Rhine will be changing and there are little cruises into the wetlands and islands.
  2. Then head down to Gengenbach for a week in the Black Forest. From Speyer it is a fairly easy route, under two hours, with a transfer in Karlsruhe. Gengenbach consistently emerges here on the Forum as the best place for the Black Forest. That time of year should be gorgeous.
  3. Perhaps somewhat "outside the box" I would then continue down via direct service to Lake Constance (Bodensee in German). Konstanz itself is a wonderful city, not well known among Americans. Definitely not a small charming town, but there are many of those along the shores of the lake and along the Rhine/Untersee as well. Visit Stein am Rhein and the Zepplin Museum in Friedrichshafen.

From Konstanz you could make the long trip back up to Frankfurt OR arrange to fly home from Zurich, which is much closer.

This is definitely not a traditional itinerary, but we've done all the portions and loved them all. One final idea. Your timing might be perfect for the Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart. It is a second-largest Oktoberfest behind Munich, but without Munich's reputation. We thought it was wonderful and fun. Not everyone's cup of tea (or stein of beer), but worth investigating if it is of interest. Stuttgart also has a lot to offer with some great museums, good dining, etc.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks, History Traveler. You too have recommended some wonderful ideas to us! I am so grateful to all of you. Your input has been so beneficial in helping us start to formulate a plan.

Peg