Please sign in to post.

Train travel in Germany

My husband and I are flying into Frankfurt (2 nights) then traveling to Bacharach by train. (3 nights) Next, we will depart by train for Salzburg Austria (2 days) and then on to Vienna by train (7 days).
What is the best way to purchase tickets? My daughter has cautioned us to buy them in advance because if not the price is much higher. But she was traveling in the UK so I think that makes a difference.
I have tried the German train website but it is apparently too far out to get price information. My husband would like to wait until we arrive in Frankfurt when we can talk face to face with someone and buy all the tickets then. (except for Salzburg to Vienna I would presume)
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank You

Posted by
5687 posts

You're right - most of the German train tickets will be much more expensive if you buy them at the last minute.

If you want to see what the price difference, check prices for tomorrow or the next day on some of your proposed train routes. Then compare the prices to say 90 days from now. I think you'll see the prices are a lot lower 90 days out than two days out on many trains.

Posted by
16894 posts

German and Austrian tickets both go on sale about 6 months in advance through their respective web sites, bahn.com and oebb.at.