Please sign in to post.

Train travel from Boppard to Cologne with Schonenes Wochende (Happy Weekend) ticket

I am trying to take advantage of the Schones Wochende ticket. I need a ticket from Boppard to Koblenz, then another to Cologne (Koln) , but can't seem to get a time schedule for both at once at the train ticket matchine. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just hop on the second train to Koln whenever I chose. I'm not sure how this SW ticket works. I also have to get back to Boppard so will also be using this ticket in reverse.

Posted by
19099 posts

I'm assuming you are traveling on a weekend, because that is when the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (otherwise known as the "Day Ticket Germany" is valid. The Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is a day pass, usable on any regional train all day, so the ticket would be valid for the entire trip from Boppard to Köln (and back), as long as you stay with regional trains.

Since you are posting this on the Internet, you must have Internet access. Use the German Rail website to find a connection. It looks like there is an entirely regional connection, one direct RB, from Boppard to Köln every hour at 12 minutes past the hour. It takes 1H50m. There are other connections shown, but they use long distance trains (ICs) that are not covered by the SWT.

If you are using the schedule finding function of a Bahn ticket machine, just put in Boppard to Köln. It should show you connections. You might have to specify "only regional trains".

Look at the yellow departure schedule at the Boppard Hbf. It shows an RB at 12 minutes past each hour. The final destination of the train is Köln Messe/Deutz, but it stops just before there across the river at the Köln Hbf.

Posted by
6663 posts

"I need a ticket from Boppard to Koblenz, then another to Cologne (Koln) , but can't seem to get a time schedule for both at once at the train ticket matchine."

If you are at the VRM-only machine, it may not be willing to provide schedules for Köln, which is outside the VRM; use the machine with the DB logo. Boppard machines: http://abload.de/img/kbop03d5uf8.jpg

" You might have to specify 'only regional trains.' "

The itinerary search page uses the wording "only local transport." It's just underneath "Connections."

Definitely click on this box if you want to use the S-W ticket or any other regional day pass that allows travel only on local/regional trains. That will exclude all the trains that are not permissible.