Please sign in to post.

train travel

I used the german rail system on three previous trips. However, I have never used the bayern ticket...so thanks to those who offered advice and info. I heading back to europe in Sept. But to my surprise. I will be accompanying my son and grandson for a week in the munich area.

Question 1: I know that you can Use a bayern ticket for all 3 to salzburg. we will stay there for two nights day trip to Eagles Nest. Can you purchase a bayern ticket in Salzburg to return to Munich? Or is there a similar pass to purchase in Salzburg?

Question 2: We plan day trips to the following Dachau, Augsburg, Ommerammergau (Garmisch). Please recommend a day trip to round out our itinary. Already considering New Schwanstein/Fussen.
Thanks to all
Ps the grandson is 10

Posted by
8889 posts

"Can you purchase a bayern ticket in Salzburg to return to Munich?" From memory yes, as long as you can find a DB ticket machine, and not an ÖBB one. A Bayern ticket is not "from" and "to", it is just "anywhere in the area of validity".

You can also buy in advance (before you leave Munich) on a DB ticket machine, and on the internet, in both cases postdated.
Info and purchase here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/regional-day-ticket-for-bavaria.shtml
Map showing where it is valid here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/mdb/pv/deutschland_erleben/allgemein/tickets/pdfs_laender-tickets/2015/mdb_190311_streckenkarte_bay_2015.pdf

P.S., how old is your grandson? Note "Up to 2 adults can bring any number of their own children or grandchildren free of charge", so you may only have to pay for two.

Posted by
2332 posts

From memory yes, as long as you can find a DB ticket machine, and not an ÖBB one.

It's available from ÖBB machines too. There is also a DB counter in the Salzburg station.

Ps the grandson is 10

So he hasn't to pay for the BT; just buy one for two.

Posted by
5581 posts

Yes, you can buy a Bayern ticket in the Salzburg train station from a DB machine. Just be sure to know the company you are working with. I went into the OBB office not completely understanding how the different tickets work. When I heard the charge, I knew that I wasn't getting the ticket I wanted, and I left and looked for the DB machine. I didn't see a DB office but doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Posted by
19092 posts

I think a lot of ÖBB automats at stations in Austria but near Germany sell the Bayern-Tickets. I've seen them for sale at an Austrian Rail (ÖBB) ticket automat at the Salzburg HB as well as at a ticket automat at the Neumarkt-Kallham bahnhof, which is about 30 km from the German border (farther as the train runs).