Please sign in to post.

Train tours

Has anyone used trip-to europe train tours? This our first extensive trip abroad and these tours are really appealing. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Posted by
6658 posts

Not me. A google search turns up nothing under that name for me. But I am still curious. Can you provide a link to their webpages?

Maybe those of us who have used trains all around Europe can provide some feedback, but we'd need to see the company's offerings first.

Posted by
4122 posts

No experience, but I did a bit of reading and it looks like a tour company that buys your train tickets and reserves your hotels for you. You may not get much help here since buying train tickets isn’t terribly hard. But for a first time traveler, I can certainly see the appeal of having someone else handle the logistics of travel but yet not be in a group.

Depending on how much time you want to spend, you could take their itinerary that you like, get help here with buying train tickets, and choose your own hotels. Most likely save some money, if that is a factor.

Posted by
6658 posts

I looked at a couple specific tours they offer.

• The pacing is much too hurried. Very few of us on this forum would recommend that kind of race through Europe. Most here would suggest 4 nights minimum in Berlin. The tour I saw offers just 2.

• The tours seem to skip the smaller towns in Germany altogether. Many of these smaller towns were spared the destruction that cities like Munich experienced in WW II and are worth seeing - and many of those can easily be reached by train, if only you weren't racing off to another big city like Munich (for just one day?)

• You'll need to be on a strict train schedule except when traveling by train from the airport on the first day (the only day where an "unrestricted ticket" is offered.) Perhaps you'll have a choice of travel times on those days in advance, perhaps not. I would ask if you are interested.

I suggest you consider what your own dream itinerary might be first. Then run it by the forum for feedback on how to put it together on your own. It may not be so tricky that you need to give over the planning and execution to another party.