Please sign in to post.

train to munich

Hello again! Considering the Munich/Salzburg/Vienna trip now as opposed to the Netherlands/Belgium. Just wondering though if we land at 11 am in Frankfurt will we have enough time to catch a 12:53 train in the airport to Munich?

Posted by
8375 posts

A lot of "ifs" involved with this. If your flight is on time, and if there is no backup at passport control.

We were at the train station in the airport about 25 minutes after landing. Our flight was 2 hours late so we ended up on a later train than originally planned. Fortunately, we had not purchased tickets in advance.

Posted by
19092 posts

I partially agree with Carol. 1h53m should be plenty of time to get to EITHER of the train stations at FRA. But note, there are two train stations at the airport. The close-in Regionalbahnhof handles the S-Bahn to Frankfurt Hbf, regional trains, and an occasional IC; the farther out Fernbahnhof handles express trains (ICEs and most IC/EC). I've always been able to get to the Fernbahnhof in less than an hour after arriving, even waiting a few minutes for passport control. I've always had a carryon, so no problem with customs, but even waiting for luggage at the carousel should not make you late. Unless you are doing something like importing diamonds, you should have "nothing to declare", and customs should be a walk-through.

However, flights can be late. I've been an hour late arriving at FRA on two or three occasions. Or you could get lost in the big airport.

"Fortunately, we had not purchased tickets in advance." That shouldn't matter if you purchase standard (full fare) tickets. They are usable on any later trains of the same type and on the same route that day.

But I would not recommend getting discounted, advance purchase, train specific tickets? I think these can be used on later trains, but the process is complicated, and there are fees. If you get standard (full fare) tickets, no problem. Even if you have reservations, and you miss the 12:53 train, you'll lose the reservations, but replacements on a later train are only 4,50€/seat or 9,-€ for a family.

Less than two years ago, we arrived at FRA on time. I had purchased standard tickets (no reservations) for a train I figured we could make if we were a little early. I bought tickets in advance so I would not have to take time purchasing them if we were close, timewise. As it was, we missed the train for which we had tickets, but we were able to use them on the next trains on that route.

Posted by
32206 posts

rs,

Your situation is actually very easy. After you've collected your luggage and gone through Passport control, walk to the Fernbahnhof and buy a ticket on the next train to Munich. You may even be able to connect with a departure at 12:35, arriving Munich at 16:12. If not, then the 12:53 isn't that much later.

Although it's not always a good idea to buy advance tickets to connect with an inbound flight, the 12:53 train provides enough of a "cushion" between flight arrival and train departure that I might take a chance and buy tickets.