Please sign in to post.

train tickets in Germany

Hi, my family and I are traveling in Germany this June. On June 20th we plan to take the train from Frankfurt to Bacharach, and the train we want to take is the Regional Expression (RE 4254), which appears to be direct. But since you can't buy these tickets online, I am not able to find the cost of the tickets so that I can compare it to the other trains. Does anyone know how to find the fares for these regional train tickets? Thank you

Posted by
6648 posts

The price from Frankfurt's main station to Bingen is €12.20 for one person or €34.50 for a group of up to 5 (Gruppentageskarte = group day ticket.). Without a little German, the price is tricky to find at the RMV website:

https://www.rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/query.exe/en?application=TARIFFONLY

RMV is the local transit authority that sells tickets for regional trains like yours in this area.

(The above fare is for the standard route - not for trains that have a stop or a change of train in Bad Kreuznach.)

You just buy the ticket(s) at a ticket machine inside Frankfurt's main station. There is an English screen option there.

If you are leaving from FRA airport and not Frankfurt proper, the price will be lower - €8.50 and €28.90.

Posted by
20137 posts

Frankfurt Hbf to Bacharach is 45 EUR for Group ticket with up to 5 people traveling together according to the RMV website. If the family is 2 adults and 1 child, individual tickets would be less.

Posted by
6648 posts

Glad to see that Sam gave info for Bacharach - not sure how I got focused on Bingen!! Scratch that.

DB doesn't sell tickets from Frankfurt to Bacharach either. But it does sell tickets to the next town, Oberwesel, for €20.90 per adult. And kids ride free with adults. So if you have 2 kids (or more) and 2 adults, go with the DB ticket to Oberwesel but just get off in Bacharach - that's cheaper than the RMV group day pass.

Posted by
19095 posts

go with the DB ticket to Oberwesel but just get off in Bacharach -
that's cheaper than the RMV group day pass.

I love it when we find little ways to trick the system!

A DB ticket from the Frankfurt airport to St. Goar is 20,50€ for an adult, but an RMV ticket to Bingen is only 8,50€ and a DB ticket from Bingen to St. Goar is 7,-€ for a total of 15,50€.