Please sign in to post.

Train tickets in Germany

What is going on with the German train system? I have been trying to book a train ticket for Bacharach to Frankfurt Flughafen for a few days and all I get is “departure lies to far in the future - can not be booked at this time”. I need to be at FRA on Sep. 2 for a 1:45 pm flight. It is now Sep. 1 2:30 pm. Even if I want to leave immediately it’s still not possible. I’ve tried on db bahn app and website, RMV, train line site, leaving from a nearby town and still no luck. I’m tempted to just show up at the train station in the morning and jump on the first train that stops going in my direction. This is very frustrating. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
6923 posts

Your journey lies within the RMV transit authority. DB does not sell tickets for regional train journeys within transit authorities like this one. Tickets are sold on the spot from machines and by app. Regional train trips are looked at like municipal bus trips. There are no seat reservations or pre-purchase options to save you money as there are on longer journeys. You wouldn't pre-purchase a ride on the city bus days in advance back home... and it's the same idea in Germany with journeys like yours... only it's a new concept for most of us because regional trains are integrated into the ticketing system for local buses, trams, subways etc. by the transit authorities. So... just do as the Germans do... just before boarding buy a RMV ticket for your journey at Bacharach station using a ticket machine, or using the RMV or DB app. Once purchased, the ticket must be used fairly soon as validity expires after so many hours/minutes.