Please sign in to post.

Train Ticket Question and More

We are five (two kids, three adults) who will be traveling from Berlin to Boppard in the Rhine Valley via train. Would I buy a high speed train ticket only from Berlin to Frankfurt (a particular station?) and then just get a regional ticket once we get there to continue on to Boppard, or buy the whole things together (hope this is not a silly question). Additionally, given my young son's interest in skyscraper, and Frankfurt having the tallest buildings in Germany, would we be able to see any as the train approaches the station?
We will be in Germany from June 12th to June 22nd, and our plan is to fly into Berlin for two nights, train to the Rhine Valley for three nights, rent a car at this point to where? Our end point will be three nights in Bavaria/Alps before flying out of Munich airport, so that leaves two nights unplanned for? Is there a city in the northern Black Forest area that would work (since I think that is what our interest is in an additional location but not Baden Baden).
Thanks much.

Posted by
6640 posts

...our plan is to fly into Berlin for two nights, train to the Rhine
Valley for three nights, rent a car at this point to where? Our end
point will be three nights in Bavaria/Alps before flying out of Munich
airport, so that leaves two nights unplanned for? Is there a city in
the northern Black Forest area...

I don't think I will be alone in my advice... you are biting off far more than is healthy with this 10-day itinerary. I think if you cannot spend at least 4 nights in Berlin that you should probably drop it. You have two long train trips, which on those two days means little sightseeing or doing once you've arrived. So in the Alps for example, 3 nights = 2 days of seeing/doing.

Transportation is a concern but the first task I think is to reduce the miles you are trying to cover. Make some choices - pick two of your three base options, spend all your time there, and you might have a reasonably nice trip that won't be a blur.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

As your son is interested in skyscrapers (Wolkenkratzer) in Germany, then go to Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. I would suggest subtracting a day elsewhere to see the big "stuff" in Berlin.

The ICE train departs from Berlin Hbf (central station) to Frankfurt Hbf. Some of the departures are direct connections.

Posted by
19092 posts

Would I buy a high speed train ticket only from Berlin to Frankfurt (a particular station?)
and then just get a regional ticket

In Germany, there is no such thing as a "high speed train ticket". There are tickets between two points, and, if they use a high speed train, it might cost more than using only regional trains, but there could also be a mix of high speed and regional trains on the same ticket. You might very well find that the Savings Fare ticket for Berlin to Frankfurt is no less than a ticket to Boppard, which includes a high speed train to Frankfurt.

In other words, price a single ticket from Berlin to Boppard and compare it to other options, but I think you will find that the ticket the entire way from Berlin to Boppard will be the most cost effective.

With a Savings Fare ticket, you can build in a stopover of a specific time, say two hours, so your son can walk around Frankfurt enjoying the skyscrapers. Actually, if you use the stopover option along with the modes of transport option, you can schedule a trip from Berlin to Boppard with non-train-specific regional trains from Frankfurt to Boppard so that you can spend a non-specific time in Frankfurt, as long as you get to Boppard by 10 AM the following morning.

Posted by
2233 posts

I agree that 1 full day is absolutety too short for Berlin. I would skip or cut down one of the other destinations. Especially I would not add another area far away from the others (Black Forest). If you want to see such an area choose Harz mountains, e.g. with beautiful old towns Goslar or Quedlinburg.

The tallest building structure (not office building) in Germany is still the TV Tower at Berlin's Alexanderplatz with a visitor platform on higher than 200 metres - elevator need 45 seconds, restaurant is turning 360 degrees in 1 hour. Other nice outlooks over Berlin you can find at several places in the city.

At good weather your son might also enjoy a ride with Welt Balloon - very interesting outlook.

Best train connection you can check on www.bahn.com, you book end-to-end. Fastest trains are ICE trains.

Trains to Frankfurt arrive via Frankfurt-Süd, so you can see some skyline first on the right side of the train, and after crossing river Main bridge on the left side.