Please sign in to post.

Train Seat Reservations

Looking at getting tickets Munich to Innsbruck on EC or (RJ) in September but not seeing where I can get a seat reservation? Tried TrainLine and Deutsche Bahn websites, saw a statement 'pick any available seat'. Is this something new? Trying different things to see what happens it looks like if I get the most expensive 1st class ticket (Flexpries Europa) at about 3 times the cost of the next level down - then I get a seat with the ticket. Whatever happened to paying $5 or so for a seat reservation?

Is there something I'm not grasping here?

Posted by
8126 posts

The seat reservation for EuroCity trains on that specific route is included when you book directly on the Deutsch Bank site.

Posted by
2402 posts

Seat reservations are compulsory this summer on some routes. But that is no longer going to be the case in September. So you should again just add the reservation as an option to the ticket.

"pick any available seat" probably just applies to the case where you do not have a reservation and you indeed, once on board, just pick an available seat.

With 1st class tickets seat reservations are indeed included automatically.

Best place to book this is probably with the Austrian Railways. It is possible that when you book very early (and booking now for September is very early) you cannot yet reserve seats.

Posted by
8084 posts

We will be in Bavaria in two weeks and want to go from Munich to Augsburg and back to airport.
The Bavaria pass seems to be the best bet. You take regional trains. I suppose no need to book seats.

Posted by
2402 posts

The Bavaria pass is only valid on regional trains, so no possibility to reserve seats even...