Please sign in to post.

Train Munich to Prague

Good Morning. I am looking for guidance myself and 3 additional adults will be arriving in Munich on April 4, 2024. We will be staying at the Marriott Courtyard in the center town. My first question is what is the best way to get from the Airport to the Marriott. Would taxi be the easiest or should we look at other options. (We will not be renting a vehicle) 2nd Question is on April 7, 2024 we will depart for Prague (Marriott Prague). Can you guide me on train tickets etc. I have looked at Eurorail and as well as rail.ninja. I guess I am just wondering what the best site buy tickets would be and do we need to purchase tickets in advance. Thank you for your help.

Posted by
204 posts

Regarding travel to Prague, use the the Detusche Bahn (DB) site at https://int.bahn.de/en to research and purchase tickets. Also, get the app for your phones. Given that this is a 5 1/2 hour trip, I would pay the extra fee to get reserved seats so the four of you can share a table. Or go in first class if your budget allows as its around 3 times the price. Price for a basic second class ticket today is Euro 48.50. This will go up as the travel date approaches.

I have not flown into Munich for many years. The airport is nearly an hour away from the city center and I imagine that a taxi could be Euro 75 or more. I suggest you send an email to the Courtyard and see what they recommend.

Posted by
1091 posts

Regarding your hotel in Munich, I have stayed there and the location is ideal. If you take the subway you get off at the main hauptbahnhoff and you can walk a few blocks to the hotel, which is what we did. I also recently took a taxi from the airport to a hotel not far from the Courtyard and it was €105. Taxi prices have really gone up, but if there are a few of you it may be worth it. It was for me because I prefer the convenience after an international flight.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Cheryl,

I live in Munich. The trip into the city on the S-Bahn should be your best bet - as a previous poster noted, the airport is a ways out of the city and a taxi trip wouldn't be substantially shorter and will be more expensive. Both the S-1 and the S-8 run to/from the airport, the S-8 is more direct and faster, so opt for that one. It will take you to Hauptbahnhof, which is right by your hotel. You can buy a group day ticket for Zones M - 5 for the MVV (the transit agency that runs the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams) at the machines in the shopping area at the top of the S-Bahn escalators in the airport station. After that, if you are mostly in Munich, you should only need an M-zone ticket to get around if you chose to take the U-Bahn, trams and S-Bahn.

For the train to Prague, we recently made the trip from Munich to Prague on the Czech rails train. We found it was cheaper to buy tickets direct through Czech Railways (site here: https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm) than booking through DeutscheBahn - even with DB discounts! Additionally, booking through Deutsche Bahn we didn't have the option of seat reservations, but it's included if you book direct through Czech Railways. I do recommend buying tickets in advance, as it will save you money; that said, we booked two days in advance (during the week between Christmas and New Years) and it wasn't an issue getting tickets. The train can get full, so a reservation helps!

Enjoy your travels,
Emily

Posted by
19092 posts

True, the S8 takes less time getting to the Hbf¹ than does the S1 (42 vs 47 minutes, 5 minutes faster), but the S8 leaves the airport 13 minutes after the S1, so if you wait for the S8 you'll get to the Hbf later. The tracks for the S1 and S8 in the airport station are on opposite sides of the same platform. Stand on the platform and take whichever S-Bahn leaves next. Note: Track 1 also services an hourly regional train to Regensburg. Don't get on it.

The same is true for the trip from the Hbf to the airport. There is a single platform in the underground S-Bahn station at the Hbf, and whichever train (S1 or S8, with the destination of the Flughafen or Freising), comes next will get you to the airport soonest. However, the S1 will break in Neufahrn with only one end, the back as I remember, going to the airport; the other end goes to Freising. The entire S8 will go to the airport. If going from the Hbf to the airport, you might want to forego the S1 if it comes next. The next S8, going the other direction, will only get you to the airport 7 minutes later, and you will avoid messing up in Neufahrn and ending up in Freising.

And also, the S1s and S8s coming through the Hbf station are not all going to the airport; some are coming from it and going to Leuchtenbergring (S1) or Herrsching (S8). Don't get on those trains.

I believe there are also signs on the wall behind the tracks showing the direction (Passing or Ostbahnhof) of the trains. Take the S1 in the direction of Passing or the S8 in the direction of Ost(bahnhof) to get to the airport.

1. The time to/from the Hbf includes 3 minutes of walking to go between the underground S-Bahn station and the main part of the Hauptbahnhof.

Posted by
237 posts

Thank you for your help. I think I have a pretty good idea now. One thing I should clarify is that we will not be returning to Munich Airport. When we arrive in Prague we will be embarking on a Amawaterway River cruise. Thanks again, keep an eye open I am sure Ill be back with more questions.

Cheryl

Posted by
237 posts

Like I said I would be back. Emily C I went into the Czech train link. I have a bit of confusion. I put my date of April 7 2024 1 adult (26-64) and 3 adults (65 plus). I found a train departing at 10:44 from Muncheon HBF arriving at Praha hl.n 16:23. Total train time just over 5 hours. amount 2330 CZK. So here are the questions. How do I know what train station I should depart and arrive at? When you go to purchase tickets there were 3 options: 1. purchase ticket, 2 purchase reservation, 3 purchase additional services. What is the difference between #1 & #2. I believe this was on a fast train (not one that stops along the way) Does this price seem to be about right. Hoping from guidance & confirmation that I am on the right track.

Posted by
2333 posts

At www.cd.cz, today a train specific 2nd class ticket for your travel date is czk 533, approx. 21€. In my experience 2nd classs on that train is just fine, and 1th class is not worth the hefty fare difference. Set the web site to English and enter as your station of departure "Munich" and as destination "Praha h.ln". "Purchase reservation" is the additional seat reservation. It's not obligatory but good to have (the train will be full as far as Regensburg, beyond it's usually not very busy). "Additional services" are things like bike transport, probably unimportant for you.

Posted by
19092 posts

In my experience 2nd classs on that train is just fine, and 1th class
is not worth the hefty fare difference.

As long as she is taking the ALX train from Munich to Prague, I would agree with you. I'm not so sure about a Czech train.

In 2012 I was staying in Zwiesel, in the Bayerischer Wald and headed for Prague. My route was a 4 train connection with changes in Bayerisch Eisenstein, Klatovy, and Pilsen. The last leg, from Pilsen to Prague was to be on the ALX train from Munich.

When I got to Klatovy, there was no track number on the board to the train to Pilsen. The clerk said there was a Schienen Ersatz Verkehr, substitute bus, because of track work between Klatovy and the next station. We boarded a train to Pilsen at the next station, but because of the lost time, I arrived in Pilsen to see the ALX train leaving the station. I had to take the train an hour later; it was a Czech Rail train. It looked like it was from the Soviet era or maybe even pre-WWII. The roof of the coach was all rusted, and the inside was no better, old and dirty. The second class compartment was for eight people (vs. 6 in 2nd class on the ALX). That's the only time in Europe that I had wished I was in 1st class.

From Prague I went to Bad Schandau, outside of Dresden, on a German EC. Second class on the EC was a world better than 2nd class on the Czech train.

Posted by
14510 posts

Re: getting to the Marriott in Munich.

If I were doing this, I would take the S-8 to Munich Hbf , very convenient, take the take Bayerstrasse exit, walk to the right, ca 2 mins. No need for any other options from MUC, a fantastic airport.

Navigating Munich Hbf might be taxing unless you're alrady familiar with it prior to the massive construction.

Posted by
2333 posts

As long as she is taking the ALX train from Munich to Prague, I would agree with you. I'm not so sure about a Czech train.

Things have changed over the last 10 years, and trains from communist times can only be found on lonely branch lines in the Czech Republic. The ALEX from Prague to Munich is of course the same as the one from Munich to Prague. It usually consists of 2-3 cars of the CD and 2 cars of the (Bavarian) Länderbahn, which practically do not differ in equipment. You can check the train composition on www.vagonweb.cz - search there for either "Bavorský expres" or "EC 357" (for the train departing Munich 10:44). Unfortunately, the CD has discontinued its nice dining car, so you should bring your own food. Czech beer is still available on board ;)

Posted by
237 posts

Hi all
Again I am back with train questions. I went on the czech rail site thinking I would price out or even purchase my tickets from Munic to Prague on April 7, 2024. The site tells me that seats are not yet available to purchase. Can you tell me if this can only be done at certain times. What I did was pick a train (fast train) which appeared to be direct from Munich to Prague about 5.5 hours in duration. I put in the ticket info 1 person 29-64, 3 persons 65 plus 2nd class it gave me aprice of 2058 czk. Does this sound about right? However like I said I could not get seats so I did not book it. Thanks for your help

Posted by
2333 posts

I would definitely buy the tickets now, because the actual fare of 537 czk pp (assuming you mean the train at 8:44) is already a little above the cheapest starting price and will continue to rise in the coming weeks. You can still reserve seats later (select "Reservations only"). Incidentally, outside of peak days (such as the previous Easter weekend) the train is rarely full, so a seat reservation is not really necessary. I would simply be at the platform 15 minutes before departure and walk as far as possible to the head of the train. Even if you can't find four contiguous seats at first, it won't be a problem after Regensburg (after about 90 minutes), because a lot of people get off the train there.

Posted by
237 posts

Sla019
thank you for the feedback. I think I am getting it! I just entered all of our info into the czech site. For the 4 of us 3 seniors and one under 65 the total CZK is 2348. That is leaving from Munich Hbf and arriving Prague. Departure 8:44 AM arrive 14:23. total 5 hours 39 minutes. It says no restrictions on this route. not sure what that means. So I believe this is direct and we do not have to transfer, which is what we want. So because the seat option is not avail I would just chose purchase ticket. Will it give me an option to print paper tickets or will it be a digital. Will all parties be on same ticket? Lastly if I buy this week, then go back in when is closer how do I get a seat assigned or linked to our tickets. Would there be an additional cost? I also noted under the ticket it says it can be returned by midnight April 6 2024 (they would just deduct $3 Eur per person). This 2nd class ticket seems to be the cheapest option, but also most restricttons. I hope I understand correctly that this ticket can only be used on the train at 8:44 AM to Prague, where as other options give you more flexibility. I appreciate your help so very much. Thank you

Posted by
237 posts

I have one more possibly silly question. I have never had reserved seats on a train, that being said in Munich when we board the train how do we know what seats are reserved and what seats are available to sit. If I book my tickets this week I am to early to reserve a seat. So I am curious. I don't want to sit in someones reserved seat. Thanks again!!

Posted by
2333 posts

I have just made a test booking for your trip, and I have been allocated a ticket for 7 April for a fare of ckz 701 pp including seat reservation (with automatic seat allocation). Can you replicate that? That would probably be the way to go, if seat reservation is essential for you.

Re your other questions:

It says no restrictions on this route. not sure what that means.

I.e., there are curently no construction sites (there were a lot of them over the past years!).

So I believe this is direct and we do not have to transfer

Correct.

Will it give me an option to print paper tickets or will it be a digital.

You could download CD's "Muj vlak" ("My train") app or print your tickets.

Will all parties be on same ticket?

Yes, but if you prefer you can select "Separate ticket for each passenger" during the booking process.

I hope I understand correctly that this ticket can only be used on the train at 8:44 AM to Prague,

Correct, that's why it is that cheap.

when we board the train how do we know what seats are reserved and what seats are available to sit

The car number and the seat numbers of your reservation will be indicated on your ticket (or on an extra reservation confirmation, don't know how they handle that). They probably will reserve your seats in one of the two (sometimes three ) blue CD cars (not in one of the grey cars of their partner Die Länderbahn), which usually run at the front of the train. You can find an overview of the train here (please note that the first two carriages only run from Plzen, so the first carriage from Munich is #258). The car # is indicated right at the door, the location of the seat number depends of the type of car. If it has compartments, they will be indicated at the compartment door, if it's an open seating car it will be either at the racks above the seats of at the window. For your seats there will be indicated that they are reserved from Munich to Prague, but no names of the seat holders will be given. Seats without an indication of reservation are vacant.

Posted by
237 posts

Wow Thank you I think I am almost there. You gave me much clarification. I did put just one person in to see if I could get the 701 czk fare. I clicked at the top of the page reservation only, I used munich hbf to praha hl.n. I did get a fare of 701 for the express train. When I selected from the green drop down I chose reservation. I left if at automatic seat. It still comes up with a red banner that says Seal assignment not available it is either to soon or time ran out to book. I tried it both on my laptop and I downloaded the app, Do you think it could be b/c I am out of country? I was recently in Thailand and we had difficulty with several transportation sites. Just a thought, I really appreciate your help.

Posted by
2333 posts

I have now done another test: seats for the ALX 355 are actually available until March 27 (the train is fully booked for the Easter weekend). Apparently the train has a maximum booking period of 4-5 weeks, so it's worth waiting a few more days and just trying again and again. Maybe you can get more precise information via the contact form on the CD website.

Posted by
237 posts

Perfect thank you I will continue to try every few days!! At least I’m not nuts. I don’t think
Thank you for your patience

Posted by
237 posts

Sla019. Wooohooo. Thank you for all of your guidance. Yesterday I booked my tickets with seats. I think I am pretty familiar now with the workings of the site. So appreciate all of your patience. Looking forward to Munich & Prague.

Posted by
237 posts

Well all was good. We were all set with the train until I received an email telling me that all trains on April 6-April 8 on the route we are taking have been cancelled due to over head line work. They suggest buses, but I am not sure. So if you see this and have any suggestions. I have one day to prepare before our flight. Thanks