Please sign in to post.

Train from Berlin to Interlaken

We are planning a September vacation to Switzerland for this fall but found out recently that our son and daughter in law are moving to Berlin in July so we would like to add a few days in Berlin to see them before going on to Switzerland. I think we can take the train from Berlin to Interlaken so we can begin our vacation in earnest after the visit in Berlin. Has anyone done such as this? Is there a fast train between the two so it can be done in a day or should we allow for more time? Once we are settled in looking at the beautiful Swiss scenery I will have our plans made but just wanting to add this time with family at the first of the trip and then fly home from Geneva, I think. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Posted by
27217 posts

Check the schedule on the Deutsche Bahn website. It looks like it will be about 9-1/2 hours. I'd guess that at least part of the trip will be very scenic.

If you are able to buy tickets soon after they go on sale, you may pay as little as 39 euros each. If you wait till the last minute, the fare may exceed 200 euros. I'm not certain about this, but it appears that DB tickets go on sale about 90 days ahead of time. I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Obviously, you could also fly from Berlin to a convenient Swiss airport. Check Skyscanner for airline schedules and fares. Zurich might be a good option for you.

Posted by
20254 posts

There is a direct train at 10:26 and takes 9 1/2 hours. You might look at flying to Zurich, but you still have 2 1/4 hours by train from the airport.
Or a night train to Basel followed by a 2 hour train ride.