Please sign in to post.

Train advice

I will be in Nuremberg for 3 nights, 10/14,15,16. We would like to take a day trip on the 15th to Bamberg, and a day trip on the 16th to Rothenburg. I have heard there is a specific train ticket that is discounted that I can purchase to travel to these towns. Is it called a VGN ticket? Can I purchase it on-line or do I have to purchase it in person at the train station? Is it a ticket that is specific to a train and time on that date, or can I get on any train headed to and from that town? I'd really appreciate it if someone can walk me through the process. Thanks!!

Posted by
847 posts

Yes it is the VGN ticket you want for Bamberg and Rothenburg. We just got ours from a kiosk at the station on the day we wanted to go. This is from the trip report I wrote about our trip to Nuremberg summer 2018 - "At a kiosk at the train station we got a VGN card for €19.70 which was considerably less than the Bayern card which is €31. Both are for two people, round trip, all day."

Here's my trip report, since we went to all three of those towns you might find some useful info - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/blog/2018/11/bavaria-to-bratislava-and-back---part-2-bavaria

Posted by
2487 posts

Unless I am very much mistaken the VGN ticket is not valid on the intercity (IC or ICE) trains; only on the regional (R or RE) trains.

Posted by
6637 posts

You need the VGN Tagesticket Plus for your Bamberg and Rothenburg journeys. It's valid for two persons at any hour on the day for which it's purchased. You can ride any of the regional trains (no IC, ICE, EC, etc. long-distance trains.)

The above link has all the pertinent information for this ticket.

If "we" is 3+ persons, the Bayern ticket might be a better choice (but it comes with an after-9-am restriction on weekdays.)

(Note: Würzburg is one possible routing for the trip to Rothenburg, but do not go that way with the VGN ticket - it's not valid there. Only the destinations and routes on the VGN map below may be used.)

https://www.vgn.de/media/schienennetz-gesamtraum-vgn.pdf

Posted by
32745 posts

Just to clarify - VGN is the transportation association for the greater Nuremberg area. It isn't a special ticket offered by others, it is one issued by that group for travel nearby. It is sold on the app, online, and through machines. Most transportation associations in Germany have 3 letter acronyms and VGN is an abbreviation of "Verkehrsverbund Großraum Nürnberg" .