Please sign in to post.

Traditional Gästehaus in Frankfurt - 5 nights June 2018

I am starting a month-long trip next summer with 5 days alone in or near Frankfurt. I don't know the city, but I'd like to get better acquainted, and I have to fly in and out of Frankfurt for this part of the trip. I'm leaning towards staying in it and day tripping out, rather than the reverse. I would like a very traditional hotel in a quiet neighbourhood. I'm past the party age. I speak and read German pretty fluently, so I'm hoping to stay in a place where I have to use it in order to scrub off the rust. I haven't really found what I'm looking for yet, despite searching threads here and many other web searches for the past week.

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Schmärrnche, or at least know the neighborhood (Nordend-Ost or Bornheim)? Do you have other suggestions for something traditional? Or can you suggest neighbourhoods on which to concentrate my search? Sorry, but I do want to lay on the traditional style somewhat thickly, as I only get to Germany every decade or so and I want to feel I've truly left Calgary.

As far as Frankfurt sightseeing and day trips, Ms. Jo, Lubitsch and Russ have provided terrific information recently and over time, so I've got lots to work with. Just need the right place to settle into for 5 nights. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
2335 posts

You could look into Frankfurt-Höchst, which has a nice historical center. I stayed once at the "Höchster Hof" in a room with a nice view on the river Main. It was a bit old-fashined but in good shape.

Posted by
4684 posts

I don't know that hotel but Bornheim is quite an atmospheric area.

Posted by
10207 posts

Try Hotel Goelz, an inherited family home, the owner has turned into a hotel. It’s in a residential area, two stops from the center, one stop from the university, no air conditioning. We slept with the windows open.

Posted by
1034 posts

thanks, those both look interesting. Decisions...

Posted by
8947 posts

The Hotel Schmärrnche is in a nice location, but have no personal experience of the place itself. Bornheim is always a super neighborhood to visit as is Höchst.

Hotel Beethoven, Hotel Goelz, Dirazi Gasthaus, Hotel Villa Orange, Hotel Florentina, or Liebieg Hotel are all nice.

Over in Sachsenhausen there a few nice places to, Hotel am Berg, Libertine Lindenberg,

Or in Niederad: http://www.kleine-villa-frankfurt.de/index.html

Posted by
1034 posts

Thank you Ms. Jo and everyone who commented. I’ll have a look at all of your suggestions before I commit. I do understand that a reservation is considered binding at all these places, so I want to be careful to look around first.

Posted by
1034 posts

just to report back. I enjoyed the online search, reading reviews and getting to know more about the neighbourhoods. I ended up reserving Hotel Schmärrnche after all, as I loved the Fachwerk houses, the outdoor patio, and the looks of Bornheim. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, they were very helpful and I wavered for quite a while before deciding.