Please sign in to post.

Tour guides?

Are the tour guides worth it when visiting the Dachau concentration camps or can you get a pretty good tour just by doing it yourself?

Posted by
6323 posts

I did not use a tour guide when I visited Dachu, but I generally like to wander by myself and see things at my own pace.

It really depends on what you like to do. I do not think you need a tour guide to get as much as possible out of Dachau, but that's just me.

Posted by
6293 posts

It depends on the guide. We've been to Dachau twice, both times on RSE tours. In each case, we had a local guide. Our first guide just hit the high points and pretty much just "phoned it in." The second time, our guide was an older native of the region, who relayed fascinating stories he had heard from family members. He made the visit absolutely riveting and meaningful.

When are you going? I'm traveling now, and don't have access to my notes. PM me, and when I get home I'll dig up the name of the second guide.

Posted by
2 posts

I would love to hear the name of the second guide! I am traveling to Germany this fall with my mother and we are leaning towards going into Dachau guided.

Posted by
6293 posts

I still can't get to my trip notes, but I've posted a note on FB asking other folks on that tour to try to remember the name of the good guide.

This is the first time I've traveled without bringing my old notes along for reference. Sorry.

Posted by
34 posts

Rick Steves recommends Radius Tours in Munich. We are coming with our son in September and planning on booking them. They have already been great answering questions from us promptly.