Please sign in to post.

Things to do in Frankfurt?

My husband and i will be in Frankfurt for 1.5 days before flying home. How is our time there best spent? Thank you. Susan

Posted by
8942 posts

That depends on when you will be here and what kind of interests you have.

Do you want to visit museums and if so, what kind? We have a wide variety of them here, Film, Bible, Archeology, Leather, Architecture, Sculpture, Icons, Modern Art, Classical Art, or Jewish. Lots of festivals happening in the city, as well as wonderful Farmers' Markets. We have several medieval churches, including one of the oldest churches in Germany, but also a Teutonic Order of Knighst church, and an imperial church where the Holy Roman Emperors were elected and crowned since the 1100's. We had churches and palaces here as far back as the 600's.

Frankfurt has the largest religious wall paintings north of the Alps located in the Karmeliter Cloister. We have several Holocaust Memorials, with the largest being the Jewish Holocaust Remembrance Wall, but the ones to the Homosexuals, the Jehovah Witnesses, the Roma & Sinti and others are well worth seeing too. If you like cemeteries, we have the largest. Tall buildings, we have the tallest. One of our neighborhoods, Höchst was added to the Half-Timbered route a couple of years ago and visiting here is worth your time too. Great market here on Tues. Fri. & Sat.

Do you have your hotel booked yet? This is also important because if there is a trade fair here, it makes it difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel. I do recommend staying in the city though and not at the airport so that you have access to all of the activities, markets, museums and restaurants.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you! We are on the train to Frankfurt as I write this and you have given us plenty of things to research on our train ride from Berlin. Interestingly, the Rememberence Wall did not come up on TripAdvisor, but it sounds like something that we would thoroughly enjoy. Our hotel is a couple blocks from the train station.

thanks again, and best regards, Susan

Posted by
8942 posts

Hi again. This is what is happening in the city and surrounding area the next couple of days.

Do recommend being at the Römer for the Pealing of the Bells tomorrow at 16:30. Farmers market near the Stock Exchange today til 18:00, and at the Konstablerwache (til 17:00), Höchst (til 13:00) and on the Berger Strasse (til 16:30) tomorrow. Flower Market at Liebfrauenberg today (til 18:00), and there is sort of a party behind the Klein Markt Halle on Sat. afternoons from about 11-16:00 or so. The Klein Markt Halle is open today until 18:00.

• 22-31 May - Wine Festival, Bad Soden
  • 22-24 May - Jugendstil Festival, Darmstadt
  • 23 May - Frankfurt Pealing of the Bells, 16:30
  • 23-26 May - Wäldches Tag (Frankfurt City Forest Fest)
Posted by
4684 posts

Make a trip to Darmstadt and see the Jugendstil buildings and art museum in the Matildenhohe area (original location of the famous Bauhaus).