Please sign in to post.

the Rhine

I have been to the Rhine twice. Stayed in Bacharach and St Goar. On my next trip...weighing Boppard and Bingen. Thoughts????

Posted by
19099 posts

I've stayed in Boppard. Liked it. Never impressed with Bingen as a destination.

Posted by
8457 posts

You're wanting to stay in the same general area, is that right? How about Rudesheim? I think I'd head for the Mosel, myself.

Posted by
8946 posts

Pick the other side of the Rhein in the Rheingau region. Eltville would be my choice.

Posted by
211 posts

I find the KD cruise timetable somewhat confusing. Would like to take line toward Bacharach, jump off and hike...then jump back on and continue toward Rudesheim and back. Been to the Mosel (Cochem) and drove to Trier. So would like to relax after flight on Rhine, cruise then continue journey.

Posted by
172 posts

I stayed in Boppard 3 weeks ago May 9-12 after reading Russ’ recommendations about Boppard. I highly recommend Boppard. I made day trips to St Goar and Bacharach during my stay and I was so glad of the choice I made as St. Goar and Bacharach are very small. Boppard offered many choices in hotels, restaurants and other activities. I had a balcony room at the Hotel Garni Gunther that had a view to the Rhine with nothing but some short trees in between. I too wanted to relax after a flight and I was content to sit for hours on the balcony watching the traffic on the Rhine. The hotel owner, Sonya, and her staff were top-notch. Hotel, room, facilities and breakfast were all great. Many restaurants were close. A market is a few minutes away and the Sesselbahn was a 15 minute walk. Train station is about a 10 minute walk.

My exposure to Bingen was only arrival at Bingen Stadt station and the short walk to the KD Line stop.