Please sign in to post.

Stuttgart Christmas Market

Based on all the input I've received from you all thus far, I have plane tickets, a draft itinerary, and am now working on hotels.
For Stuttgart, what is the hotel best location[s]/ streets, to access the Christmas market, train station, [and Mercedes Museum, buses here, I think.]
Am I correct that the markets are located in Marktplatz, which is the City Center?
Is this close to the Palace Square, at Schlossplatz ? I NEED a good map.
I assume I can contact the local tourism office for a detailed map and local info.
However, your on-the-ground expertise is priceless.
Thanks so much!

Posted by
3835 posts

The Stuttgart Christmas Market is huge and located on multiple squares. The website for the market includes a map: https://www.stuttgarter-weihnachtsmarkt.de/en/general/general-plan/. The beginning of the Christmas market (the north side of Schlossplatz) is only about 3-4 blocks from the train station.

I was looking for an inexpensive hotel with a good location when I went to Stuttgart's market, so I went with the Motel One Hauptbahnhof, which is located between the train station (Hauptbahnhof) and the Christmas market. Motel One is a budget German chain with small, spotless rooms with a dash of design flare and cool common areas. Breakfast is usually around 9-10 euro extra, but good. The hotel was perfect for what I wanted.

Posted by
1479 posts

We stayed twice at the City Hotel on Uhlandstr. It is a couple blocks from the Charlottenplatz Ubahn station, near the old palace and one tentacle of Christmas Market. It is a nice residential neighborhood. The rooms are typically small but it had a good breakfast and a very helpful staff. I would stay there again for a Christmas Market visit.

As mentioned the Christmas Market is spread over a large area.

Posted by
4675 posts

Great info!
Ok- do we need two or three nights in Stuttgart? I'd like to go to the BMW museum, and take side trips to Esslingen and/or Ludwigsburg.
From Stuttgart, it's on to Rothenburg!
Thanks again!

Posted by
1479 posts

"Ok- do we need two or three nights in Stuttgart? I'd like to go to the BMW museum, and take side trips to Esslingen and/or Ludwigsburg."

I believe the BMW Museum is in Munich. A very popular attraction in Stuttgart is the Mercedes Museum.

We stayed in Stuttgart 3 nights for the Christmas Market season and 2 nights on another visit. We made day trips to Ludwigsburg (spring) and Esslingen (in Advent to visit the Medieval Christmas Market). There are other day trip possibilities like Tübingen. Stuttgart has a good Christmas Market itself. All that said, three nights were a bit too much for us. Maybe just personal taste.

Posted by
4675 posts

Oops! Mercedes Museum.
Thanks so much!