Please sign in to post.

Souvenirs in Ansbach Germany

We have been in Germany 3 days now. Wurzburg, Nuremberg, and Ansbach so far. We have been searching for items such as beer steins, everlasting candles, etc. We have not been successful. We lived here 35 years ago and brought home many of these types souvenirs. I've googled searched and looked on some travel forums but no luck. We have been to 3 wonderful Christmas Markets and found many other things to buy but not steins. Any sugestions?

Posted by
7036 posts

Where else are you going in Germany. I don't know about other places but in Munich you can't turn around without seeing beer steins. Strange that you couldn't find what you're looking for in Nuremberg or Wurzburg, most touristy places sell them, especially in Bavaria.

Posted by
32809 posts

I don't think you would find them at a Christmas Market. Nothing very Christmassy about them.

Look in a tourist store or biergarten/keller/rathaus shop.

Posted by
2335 posts

Ansbach is too small a place and not touristy enough for those things. Look in Nürnberg, preferrably in the quarter south-west of the castle. E.g., there is a gift shop selling the things you are looking for just south of the Dürer house. I you go downhill from the house (Albrecht Dürer Strasse) it's one the left side. I don't have, however, any experience with it.

Posted by
4684 posts

"Stein" is an English term for the item that many Germans will not recognise. What you want is a "Krug" or "Steinkrug".

Posted by
1296 posts

When you are back home you could check eBay.de for new and used and enquire if they will ship to the USA or you guarantee to pay shipping. You might find that 35 year old stein or better from original German porcelain manufactures (Hutschenreuther, Rosenthal, Seltman, Geritz etc.) rather than a modern possible foreign imported knockoff and at a better price. You might find an actual Mass Krug that was a measure before the metric system (a Schluck more than a liter). In Germany you might check Antique and second hand or Troedel stores. The best come at a premium for collectors, but you can get good stuff a reasonable prices.