Please sign in to post.

Sim card ?

Hi!

Ill arrive in Berlin monday (txl airport). I need to get a sim card for my phone.Is it true you have to be a berman citizen to get one ?

What would be the best option for my needs: data ( 1gb or 2) some local minutes in case of an emergency, minutes and text for calling in Canada.

Where should I buy it ?

Thanks

Posted by
8 posts

I never saw any requirements for a citizenship. I did see where you need to present your passport to document who you are and where you are from. We used the app Voxofon. it worked on most Wifi networks for calling. I have an iphone and can text others with iphones, but not android over the wifi of hotels, train stations, airports. Most bars and social places have some sort of free wifi.

Posted by
19099 posts

For the last three trips to Germany, I've bought a SIM from one of the discount grocery store chains (PennyMarkt, REWE, etc) in Germany. With PennyMarkt it's a T-Mobile SIM, resold by the store at about half the price that T-Mobile charges. At the time, because I was using it with an "aircard" or "webstick" with my netbook, I had to make a phone call to switch it over from phone to data. I'm not a German citizen, and I've never had to show a passport.

PennyMarkt's website (www.penny.de) is in Germany only This is their rate webpage. It looks like you can get various plans. One is 100 minutes, 100 texts, and 100 MB of data for 1,99€/day. The SIM is good for a month. Or you can get 500 MB of data, only, for 7,99€ in a month. I don't know about international calling.

I imagine if you find one of these stores in a big city, like Berlin, someone will speak English. After the initial purchase, you can load extra time on the card at any of that chain's stores, but a lot of stores in small towns do not have anyone who speaks English.

You might also find a T-Mobil store, maybe at the airport. It would be more expensive for the SIM, but they might be better at English fluency.

Posted by
32213 posts

math,

I'm assuming your phone is unlocked?

Another method you could use is wait until you get settled in your hotel in Berlin and then ask the clerk to recommend a nearby mobile phone shop (they're not usually too hard to find in European cities).

Posted by
32813 posts

Aldi and Lidl do similar deals to those at Penny.