Please sign in to post.

Shoes for walking

Shannon's wife here... We are about to head to Germany in a few short weeks and I just realized my Tennis Shoes / Sneakers are shot. What do you suggest or have you found to be a comfortable pair of walking/sightseeing shoes?
Thanks!

Posted by
2707 posts

You don't have much time. Fortunately, athletic shoes break in quickly if you have the right ones. Get over to a store like Fleet Feet and start trying. We both got Hoka One One's at the recommendation of our podiatrist. They are great but ugly. Many models. How "shot" are your old shoes? If they are comfortable think about giving them one last trip and ditching them before you head home.

Posted by
1206 posts

If you go onto the "Tips and Trip Reports" section of this website, and scroll down through the choices offered in "Select Your Category", you'll see that there's an entire category of postings on the topic "Best Walking Shoes for Travel." You'll likely find some good suggestions there. Happy walking!

Posted by
416 posts

I bought a big ole honking pair of Oboz for our trip next month. So ugly they're almost cute. Lol. They accommodate my orthotics and heel cups (I had to buy a whole size up) but they're comfy and supportive with decent soles. I don't slip and slide in them.

Posted by
173 posts

Skechers--super comfortable, readily available at lots of stores, almost no break-in period. The all-black styles are perfect for Europe. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
671 posts

I have some Danskos that are very comfortable and have a good sole. They have many styles, not just the traditional clogs. Another option is buy some Birkenstocks in Germany! They are cheaper there . . . and still one of the most comfortable shoes I have.

Posted by
39 posts

Sketchers are very light weight and comfortable but not great for areas getting rain. Mephisto makes excellent walking shoes as does Dansko, Ecco and Taos. Sandals or tie or slip on. My husband has worn wonderful Ecco golf shoes (no cleats of course) on 3 previous trips- great looking and he waterproofs them.

Posted by
75 posts

Rockport World Tour Classic, Ecco-several models, sneakers New Balance-several models. Unfortunately Rockport is hard to find in Germany except online. Couldn't find a single store in Munich, and I was looking specfically for RWTC. Same thing for NB, only worst and cheapest models. So buy in USA.

Posted by
138 posts

Spent two months in Europe this April-May and saw people raved about Keens, I purchased a pair and used them for most of the trip, Italy was hot in early June and switched to Teva sandals, I have wide feet and both of these worked for long hikes to cobble stone streets

Posted by
2047 posts

I have worn Brooks Adrenaline athletic shoes for my last several trips. They have excellent stability and are very comfortable. They come in all black which makes them more subltle. I have had plantar fasciitis in the past, but have had no flares with these shoes.

Posted by
782 posts

I wore Skechers in France,Italy and Switzerland in April and May and they are the most comfortable shoes that I haver worn for daily walkers in Europe and my wife said the same.
Mike