Please sign in to post.

September vs. December for first trip 2016

Hello fellow travelers!

My boyfriend Jesse and I are planning a trip to Germany (and possibly one/two other neighboring countries) for 2016. Jesse has to submit a request for next year's vacation by this Monday, Oct 26th, so we're in the odd position of choosing when to go before doing much research.

The options are: two weeks in September versus two weeks in first half of December 2016

It seems from what I've read so far that September is an easier time to travel as far as lower fares/mild weather. However, both of us love the holidays (we celebrate Christmas) and are keen to experience the famous Christmas markets. December was originally our first choice. The concern is that most guidebooks discourage winter travel since it's colder and dark earlier and warn that many places close down. (Can anyone speak more specifically to what sorts of things close?)

We are not terribly concerned with sight-seeing and major tourist attractions. We are mostly interested in eating good food (especially trying local specialties - we are adventurous eaters), exploring towns/cities, people-watching, finding some authentic, unique souvenirs and enjoying the outdoors (probably in the form of a run, long walk or hike). We are 29 and 30, so certainly cool bars/late night spots are of interest, but neither of us are into a big club/party scene. We usually prefer smaller museums to larger ones (example Orsay in Paris over the Louvre) and often use Rick Steve's self-guided walking tours as our introduction to a new town. We will likely travel by train/public transportation.

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. We will likely request a first and second choice, but what should we put in the #1 slot: September or December?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Chloe

Posted by
4828 posts

Having lived in Germany I can say that yes, "it's colder and dark earlier and ... that many places close down". However, most of those places are ones that really cater to the tourist trade -- regular Germany just carries on through the winter as normally does. Personally I would choose Sept. because of the weather, but it you are really into the Christmas scene and festivities then go for it. December is not impossible, and no one can really predict the weather -- it can be cold in Sept. and warm in Dec. Do what you really want to and forget about the weather. Just dress for it. As some say, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Posted by
17915 posts

Colder and Darker isn't necessarily a bad thing. Who would drink mulled wine in August? And the cities are alive with lights and they can be spectacular. I love December in Central and Eastern Europe. Done it a number of times. Just because its dark doesn't mean you go to bed. You think people in that part of the world don't have a life in the winter? They have found ways to make life great in the winter. Do the Royal Tour; Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Its spectacular in the winter.

As for September. About September 15 to October 21 is about the best time of the year to visit Central/Eastern Europe on a general no special interest vacation. The weather is mild and the daylight is good. For me late September or Christmas is sort of a coin toss; both times are less expensive as well.

Posted by
4684 posts

The only places that will "close down" outside the summer are summer tourist destinations in the country or at the seaside. Town and city attractions, shops, and restaurants will generally stay open all year round.

Posted by
8141 posts

Try to go in September. It's one of the preferred months to take vacation in.

Posted by
117 posts

I went to Germany during the Christmas holidays many years ago and loved it! There was plenty to do during the day as far as sightseeing goes and then time to relax when the sun went down and enjoy the evening in the wonderful local dining establishments. It snowed while I was there and it made it just that much prettier. I came prepared with appropriate clothing and footwear for the season and spent lots of time walking around the Christmas markets, window shopping, drinking gluhwein, and watching people. If you love the holidays, I think you'll totally immerse yourself in the European holiday experience and not regret it.

Posted by
12040 posts

The concern is that most guidebooks discourage winter travel since it's colder and dark earlier and warn that many places close down. Ignore what "most guidebooks" say.

There is no bad time to go to Germany. Just make sure your expectations match the season. As noted, September would be better for most outdoor activities and rural site-seeing, but December has the Christmas markets and Alpine skiing (at least, the latter part of the month does). Despite popular perception, very little closes in Germany during the winter, except perhaps the beer gardens and some amusement parks... but if it's outdoor eating drinking you seek, the Christmas pick up where the beer gardens leave off.

September is probably the best month for hiking, especially in the higher mountain ranges like the Black Forest, Alps, Harz and Bavarian Forest. You can still hike in some regions in December, but the weather is not as forgiving. Usually not bitterly cold, but often damp and gray.

In general, sticking to cities and towns is more high yield in the winter. With the much-reduced hours of daylight, you have far less time to enjoy the wonders of the countryside and most of the scenery hides behind a dull gray haze. But the atmosphere and light levels won't affect your ability to tour cities.

Posted by
1481 posts

We lived in Germany and enjoy all seasons. September would be great but we prefer December. The Christmas markets extend the evenings. In the cities few tourist attractions are closed. We do sight-seeing in the mid day. We actually choose our cities by the sights and take the Christmas markets as frosting on the cake.

We do not "hike" but usually spend our days on our feet about town. The cool (sometimes cold and snowy) weather is an incentive to get out and enjoy it. The cold weather and activity is the perfect set-up for a stop at a cafe.

We really do love that time of year.

Posted by
485 posts

Another vote for December. We've been on 3 Christmas market tours and had the best time. Yes it's cold and can be rainy or snowy too, but wandering around the outdoor markets with a cup of 'gluehwein' is fun. The towns are all decorated lovely, the churches have wonderful advent concerts, and it's just a magical experience; different from summer or Easter (other times we've traveled there). You will love it.

Posted by
635 posts

If you choose September, remember that Oktoberfest actually takes place around the latter two weeks of September. During that time, travel in and around Munich may be difficult, and accommodations will be more expensive not only in Munich but in surrounding areas of Bavaria as well.

Posted by
15582 posts

Hey Chloe, I say dig out your Tahoe clothes and go in December! From everything you've written, you will love the Christmas markets. There's plenty of time for sightseeing or hiking in the mornings. The markets don't get started until around lunchtime (so many choices, both local specialties and holiday specialties) and you'll enjoy ducking into churches or museums (also good for toilets) in the afternoon to warm up a little before going back out. The markets get pretty crowded as the locals arrive after work. By around 7 p.m. they are very crowded - either enjoy it or head for a restaurant. Some towns have outdoor skating rinks. Get a taste of France by visiting Strasbourg and Colmar and maybe have time for Salzburg (possibly Vienna too?), with Germany in the middle.

Posted by
32746 posts

But it is also possible to burn out on Christmas Markets. A lot of the geegaws are the same from one to another, as are the bratwurst, gluhwein, and fried creamy potatoes with garlic.

Personally I think that being in a beautiful tree lined and chestnut covered biergarten with an oompah band rumbling away is an experience not to be missed. The bratwurst is cheaper than at a Christmas Market, too.

Everybody enjoys something different. That is the beautiful rose garden of humanity.

Posted by
2404 posts

I prefer Sept, but Dec is also nice because of the Christmas markets. It does get dark early. If you go to mountain areas, then dress as you would if you go to Tahoe, as suggested. Although of course every year varies, when we went in Dec., temperature was just around freezing.

Posted by
2906 posts

Hi Chloe,

Be assured that either September or December will be a wonderful time to visit. Neither is a bad time of year. For trips to Bavaria and Austria, we have done one late September trip, quite a few of October trips and more recently, two early December trips. IF the Christmas/holiday atmosphere is more appealing, then early December is ideal. At the old town markets, if all the lights, decorations, Christmas trees, music, the smell of wood burning, food cooking, hot chocolate and hot mulled wine doesn't put you in the Christmas spirit, nothing ever will :) Add the snow capped Alps and a little snow and it's even more magical.

The fact that it gets dark early is a big plus during the Christmas market season, as this is when they really come "alive".

For the Christmas market trips, we visited Berchtesgaden, Germany, and in Austria we visited Salzburg, Hallein, the Salzkammergut (including St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang), Hall in Tirol, Rattenberg and Innsbruck plus the Schladming/Ramsau am Dachstein area. Innsbruck and the area tops my list of places I would go again at this time of year. Heading over the Italian border to the very charming old towns of Sterzing/Vipiteno and Brixen /Bressanone, which also have nice Christmas markets, is also easy from Innsbruck. The Diocesan Museum in Brixen was quite interesting. A little further and also possible from Innsbruck is the old town of Bozen/Bolzano, which has the fascinating "Ice Man" exhibit at the Museum of Archaeology.

We have some photo's from our 2010 and 2013 early December trips (and our others) at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets

Paul

Posted by
544 posts

September for sure! It's much easier to pack light for September weather. Especially if you want to enjoy the outdoors and doubly so if you are going to use public transit to travel and haul your bag around.

Sidewalk cafes and walking tours are also much better in warmer temps with less rain. September is also often my favorite time of year for hiking or taking longer runs outside.

I was just in Amsterdam last week and wish I had packed a winter jacket and hat and gloves. My wool sweater and Goretex wasn't enough for late October in the Netherlands.

Posted by
32 posts

If you are a Christmas fan, you should travel to Germany during December at least once in your life. I've done trips to the markets twice and they were both two of the best trips I've ever taken in my life. You really have to experience the atmosphere, the spiced wine, the friendly locals and the delicious food.

Posted by
933 posts

No contest . . . December = Christmas Markets, amazing food, a truly magical experience. We really love Nuremburg . . . but you just can't go wrong. Have you thought of a Christmas Market River Cruise on the Rhine or Danube? It's truly Magnificent and you don't have to worry about getting to places . . . you wake up in a new town everyday with amazing cathedrals, palaces, and Christmas Markets and FOOD (not to mention the fantastic food on the boat).