Please sign in to post.

September 2018 Week in Munich area

Traveling with my two brothers for a two week trip in Europe. Starting August 31st. Start in London for two nights, then on to Paris via train, immediately up to Normandy area for a few days. Return to Paris and then off to Munich for a week. The WWII history of Normandy and Dachau are our primary goals. However, we would like to see the communities outside of Munich. Especially Garmisch-Partenkirchen, where our older brothers played in the World Curling Championships in 1972.

Looking for any advice regarding transportation and accommodations in the region of Munich. Is renting a car the best bet, or is there enough public transportation to move us from city to city with ease. Also, any suggestions on sites to see for a laid back visit focused on culture, food and drink. Suggestions for bed and breakfast opportunities and potential private tour guides as well. Have not been to Europe since the 70s, so very much out of touch, any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. We continue to review this forum as a great resource. Dates are locked so unable to look at other date options.
Thank you for your time.

Posted by
7827 posts

London 2 nights
You can take the Eurostar train to Paris the early you book the cheaper the ticket. I think the earliest is 90 days in advance
https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/trains
From Paris you can take a train to Bayeux or Caen.
This site is the most user friendly with no mark up in prices to buy trains for travel in France
https://www.trainline.eu/
Bayeux or Caen are two most common cities where travelers base themselves to explore the DDay beaches.
You can either rent a car and DIY or you can buy a tour with guide.
https://www.overlordtour.com/
On a small budget and from doing research I managed to tour the D-Day beaches myself on a public bus with other Americans.
But you have to be at healthy level where normal walking does not make you uncomfortable if you do it that way.

After DDAY beaches you have to go back to Paris on the train and I would just fly to Munich. You have not mentioned any place here
where you want to go and would need to rent car. The Flixbus goes to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in one hour from Munich.

Once you get the order of your trip settled then drill down on where to stay and the other stuff

Posted by
2331 posts

The Flixbus goes to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in one hour from Munich.

There are way more train connections.

Posted by
671 posts

Where to stay in Munich? We found the Hotel Uhland comfortable, reasonably priced, convenient, a nice place to relax, and the breakfasts were fabulous. It is walking distance from the train station, and the Oktoberfest Park; even though we were not there during Oktoberfest, it was a nice place to walk.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for your quick replies.

Jazz, we hope to spend two nights in Paris to get a taste of the Lights of Paris. Not much time, but all we have. Any suggestions on hotels, must sees, etc. would be very much appreciated. Thank you again. Charlie

Posted by
3843 posts

If you are looking to stay in a central location in Munich in a place with a B&B-type feel, consider Pension Lindner or Pension am Jakobsplatz. They are located in the same building but owned by different people. Both are very reasonably priced compared to other options in the area. I have stayed at the latter and liked it; I have heard great things about the former here on the Forum. Both have great reviews on Trip Advisor. They are just a few blocks (5-minute walk) from the Marienplatz U station. Pension Lindner has 9 rooms; Pension am Jakobsplatz has 4 rooms.

I used Stefan Biro as a private guide in Munich. He is a native of Bavaria and speaks excellent English. He is extremely knowledgable, eager to teach, and energetic. A friend and I used him for a full-day combined Nazi/city tour. We very much enjoyed it. If you would like contact info, PM me.

Are you looking for recommendations in Normandy and Paris, too?

Posted by
8 posts

Yes, we are certainly looking for options and suggestions to stay in Bayeux and Paris. Especially a couple nights in Paris near the Eiffel tower and the Seine River. That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
3843 posts

In October 2016, a friend and I spent about 10 days split between Normandy and Paris. We rented a car for the Normandy leg. We flew into Rennes and picked up a car there so that we could make a swing by Mont St Michel on our way to Normandy; we dropped the car at the Rouen train station and then took a train to Paris.

Since we had a car, we stayed at a great B&B located outside one of the traditional towns where most visitors stay -- B&B Les oiseaux de passage near Isigny-sur-Mer. It's an old stone barn that has been wonderfully converted into a B&B with an awesome host and amazing breakfasts that include eggs fresh from the farm's chickens. There are a washer and a dryer there, too.

We hired Paul Woodadge as a private guide and did the 2-day American Experience tour. It was pricey, but beyond excellent. I read A LOT on Operation Overlord before the trip, and it was so rewarding (and moving) to see the places where the things I read had happened. We independently explored Arromanches, Bayeux, and Caen.

In Paris, we stayed at the RS-recommended Hotel Beaugency. It is a simple, family-owned hotel with an ok breakfast. Price is good relative to surrounding hotels. It's several blocks from the Eifel Tower and the Seine but well within walking distance.